Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-leather shoes

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could purchase a pair of non-leather shoes? Preferably not those cheap ones that were made in a sweat shop in China or Cambodia etc. either. I live in Carlow and I've looked in every shoe shop in town here. I ended up getting a couple of the cheap canvas pairs that were probably made in a sweat shop. I feel bad about this, but I couldn't see anything else available here and I needed a couple of pairs of shoes as most of my other ones are starting to get badly worn. Apart from feeling bad about these shoes being made in a sweat shop they're also pretty crappy looking.

I don't want to buy anything online as I'd like to try them on. I would like to get something in Carlow but that doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone know of any shops anywhere else in Ireland where I can buy non-leather and non-sweat shop made shoes? I'm looking for something like runners or walking\hiking shoes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Does anyone know where I could purchase a pair of non-leather shoes? Preferably not those cheap ones that were made in a sweat shop in China or Cambodia etc. either. I live in Carlow and I've looked in every shoe shop in town here. I ended up getting a couple of the cheap canvas pairs that were probably made in a sweat shop. I feel bad about this, but I couldn't see anything else available here and I needed a couple of pairs of shoes as most of my other ones are starting to get badly worn. Apart from feeling bad about these shoes being made in a sweat shop they're also pretty crappy looking.

I don't want to buy anything online as I'd like to try them on. I would like to get something in Carlow but that doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone know of any shops anywhere else in Ireland where I can buy non-leather and non-sweat shop made shoes? I'm looking for something like runners or walking\hiking shoes.

I don't know if you are male or female. Most converse don't have leather but are probably made in China. 'No Sweat' are a vegan fair trade/unionised take on converse and can sometimes be found in the Amnesty Shop. Also in the Hemp shop in Dublin's Capel St they have something similar so if you are ever in Dublin check them out.

Try typing vegan or vegetarian into the schuh.ie website and a few pairs will pop up including EcoSneaks (possibly also made in China though not sure if fair trade), you can try them on next time you're in a schuh shop.

NB/New Balance runners come in non leather versions made in UK or US.

You could ask in your local camping shop about walking/hiking shoes as I know vegan versions exist.

Apart from that it is nearly impossible to find guilt free vegetarian shoes in an Irish shoe shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Weyhey wrote: »
    I don't know if you are male or female. Most converse don't have leather but are probably made in China. 'No Sweat' are a vegan fair trade/unionised take on converse and can sometimes be found in the Amnesty Shop. Also in the Hemp shop in Dublin's Capel St they have something similar so if you are ever in Dublin check them out.

I forgot to mention I was male. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably take a trip to Dublin soon and have a look in the Hemp Shop and the Amnesty Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dunnes? albeit not sure about the sweatshop thing with them.

Advertisement