Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 things you like about living in Limerick

Options
  • 26-06-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

There has been a few different threads posted here recently about the positives and negatives about living in Limerick. I thought it might be nice for us to post just 3 things you like about living in Limerick (city or county). Rules: only 3 things, no negative comments and no negative feedback please, this is only for positive stuff!
    So here are my 3:
    1/The Sports Arena in UL. wow, what a fantastic amenity, Im there regularly (swim in the 50m pool 2 - 3 times a week) and use the track for running/athletics so all in all I spend a lot of time there.
    2/Lough Gur, such a beautiful spot, and usually so quiet.
    3/The Shannon - I work beside the Clarion hotel and I often pop out for a wee stroll along the Shannon there, I love the view, lots of open water and greenery, very peaceful, just lovely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

1 The fact that it is like a big village - wherever you go your bound to meet someone you know
    2 My job, working in the belltable for the last two months and didn't realise how much is going in Limerick all the time
    3 Sitting outised the Locke bar on a sunny day with a pint of cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

1. The shopping is pretty good, (Semi-) Apple Store , Crescent SC, Town.
    2. Apart from all the violence, its actually a nice city. Some really impressive architecture (old and new)
    3. Fans of Munster are some of the most dedicated fans.. ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

1. Not much traffic in relation to other cities.
    2. In easy reach of Cork, Galway, Tralee, Killarney and Dublin
    3. The people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

1. The rugby. Can't wait for the season to start.
    2. The compact nature of the city.
    3. We are smack in the middle of it all, nowhere is far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Berty wrote: »
    1. Not much traffic in relation to other cities.
    2. In easy reach of Cork, Galway, Tralee, Killarney and Dublin
    3. The people

+1

thanks , you saved me typing them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

1. Living in the county love both city and conunty
    2. The people, always a friendly face to chat to
    3. Proud to say I am from limk and love when someone else is stands beside you and says the same. You only need to look at O Connell st on a munster match and we are all standing shoulder to shoulder and proud off it

GO LIMERICK !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Hope you don't mind the outsider butting in but as I work in Limerick I spend enough time there to count......;)

Here's my pick!

1. Thomond Park
    2. Definitely the people :D
    3. Sitting by the river on a sunny day eating lunch
    4. The shops...
    5. The resturants
    6. The bars

Hey why did you just make it three things? There's loads to like about Limerick that's why there's always so many CE reg cars around!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

+1 Living in the county but love the City.

1 Rugby
    2 The lovely ladies, especially when the sun comes out (a danger to all motorists:D)
    3 Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants.
    4 Thomond parl
    5 The UL concert hall
    6 The Parks
    7 Nightlife
    8 Shops
    9 Chippers
    10 getting my windscreen washed at every traffic light.... FREE :)
    I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

1. The atmosphere 99% of the time is fantastic
    2. The riverside a pub at the St Mick boat club end or in the boat club wouldn't go astray :)
    3. No matter how hard Limerick people get knocked back their resilience no matter how much bitching to get on with it

2 The lovely ladies, especially when the sun comes out (a danger to all motorists)
    LOL at this its not just the lovely ones a danger to motorists :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

1. The notably higher standard of women
    2. The Rugby/Thomand park buzz (both true and bandwagon support), something you could probably only equal in the likes of New Zealand
    3. The pride of the people from here given the sh1t thats talked about on the radio and TV constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good idea for a thread.

1. Limerick humour is top class.
    2. Good social scene. People are always willing to chat and I would imagine outsiders soon aclimatise if they are alos open and friendly.
    3. City is perfect size for meeting friends when out and about.
    4. Rugby supporters are great especially when we have foreign supporters in town.
    5. Beautiful women and always well dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

1. The many faces of the city-the University area, countryside, city centre shopping and history
    2. The nightlife, for a small city we can boast some of the best bars in the country
    3. Location-close to all the main cities and if you cant go to them your friends can come to you just as easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

sioda wrote: »
    LOL at this its not just the lovely ones a danger to motorists :P

Tell me about it, i reached into the back seat while parked to grab something the small fella dropped, and when i looked back up, some enormous yoke in a boobtube was walking her sweaty self past my parked car :(
    nearly made me lose my mcflurry due to gag reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

1. wandering around Newtown Pery and People's Park on a sunny day
    2. UL and the river walks in Plassey
    3. traffic arteries more free flowing than Cork, Dublin, and Galway. You know jams will move before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

1.The Nightlife
    2.UL
    3.Shopping

There's so much more, I love the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

1 - MUNSTER RUGBY YAY!

2 - PENNYS YAY!

3 - ANGEL LANE

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

1. Meeting everyone you know and their mammy in the market of a saturday morning.

2. The Irish Chamber Orchestra (and their upcoming festival) Truly a joy!!

3. Walking across Sarsfield bridge every morning on my way to work... Seriously, kids. What a town! Those new boardwalks on the north bank of the river are lovely for a stroll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

1. The Rugby - both club and province
    2. The people - i go to school in the county and live in the city and everybody is really nice and easy to get on with
    3. UL - i absolutely love the place cant get enough of hanging out there, cant wait to go to school there
    4. how close everything is, if you live in the county everything is 20mins away, if youre a city folk its at your door step
    5. how proud people are of their county :) reading through this post gave me shivers down my spine, thanks guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

1. Thomond Park :D:D:D Munster and Shannon rubgy
    2. Penny's :D:D
    3. Hanging out by the river on a sunny day :) They've done wonders to the Shannon and it looks fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

1. Lovely polite drivers who always let you out of your road ahead of them.
    2. Handsome, friendly, rugged men who hold doors and/or let me in ahead of them.
    3. Baby friendly. Everyone will talk to my babs and smile and try to get him to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

1. Irelands sporting capital, involvement with munster rugby and thomond park. rugby players like Paul O'Connell, Jerry Flannery,David Wallace, John Hayes, Keith Earls (all picked for the lions)

2. Location, Equidistance from cork and galway city, so we enjoy a bit of both worlds, not to mention an hour from the beach.

3. Spirit, i dont think i know any other city or town for that matter that has the feel of a community, many people try to put us down but that just makes us stronger, were very neutral to the rest of the country..i dont think anyone 'hates us', we keep to ourselves in our city and can defend it when cornered!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

1 Road to Kerry
    2 Road to the west coast (Shannon)
    3 Road to sandwich eaters county

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

having lived in Limerick, I have to say the best thing about it is the people. So helpful, friendly and genuine.
    Also the city in general holds alot of history and fabulous architecture... from the Georgian to King Johns Castle etc, etc...

Advertisement