Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hay Guys im movin to limerick soon and im wondering if its as bad as everyone says it is? anytime i have visited the city i have never seen any trouble and i think its a fantastic city... am I right?

Thanks for your help!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no, its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Just dont slag off Munster/Rugby...the natives dont take to it too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hay Guys im movin to limerick soon and im wondering if its as bad as everyone says it is?

Depends on what you mean by "everyone".....

Those who live here and know that it's great, but has some similar serious problems to every other city, then the answer's yes.

Those who write for some tabloids and those who've never been here but chose to believe that crap, then the answer's no.
    anytime i have visited the city i have never seen any trouble and i think its a fantastic city... am I right?

Speaking honestly ? ANY city that you visit for a weekend or whatever is going to seem better than it would living there - could be the weather, the event you were there for, your mood because you were on a weekend break, etc.

But overall (and in answer to "i think its a fantastic city....am I right", not the earlier question of "is it as bad as everyone says") - yup, it's at least as good a spot as most, and better than a lot of others.

Could do with a few more amenities and a beach, but otherwise it's the only city in Ireland (apart from maybe Cork) that I'd choose to live in/near.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jackncoke wrote: »
    Just dont slag off Munster/Rugby...the natives dont take to it too well

Whats your basis for this Jackncock?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

OP,

If you listen to some on here then Limerick is a warzone and you have no chance of surviving it.

If you listen to others on here, then it is an amazing place that has no problems and is a world leader in sport/entertainment/culture/blah blah blah.

The truth is that it is just a regular town with good and bad points. There are a lot of crap areas in the town, but a fair chunk of good ones too. A lot depends on where you live as to whether you get to see the crap stuff or not. If you see it on a daily basis your opinion of Limerick will be coloured by it, and if you live somewhere that you do not see the crap stuff, then your opinion will be based on that.

You will make up your own mind on the place in time, and I hope you have a really good time living in Limerick whether you are moving here for good or just for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

As a limerick man myself, i moved to dublin to work and i have to say in my Opinion, Limerick is a far nicer city....

People are actually lovely down there, Sure there are little knackers about, but they are in every city...

The night life is good craic albeit you'll run into the same faces every week:D

Dont worry about moving there OP, you'll love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

sparkysrovers - 7 day ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

sparkysrovers - 7 day ban.

Pointless 7 day Ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Sunn wrote: »
    Pointless 7 day Ban.

wait until you get banned for this comment, criticising the divine and final decision of a (this?) mod!
    and me getting banned for this posting...

live with it - it's boards.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Could do with a few more amenities and a beach,

LOL Brilliant :) if only we could sail the city down the estuary :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Limerick is fine, there is a collection of knackers in town (younger ones really) most of the hassle is outside the city centre, in areas you wouldn't normally be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote: »
    LOL Brilliant :) if only we could sail the city down the estuary :P

To be fair, the river is a lot cleaner these days, pretty soon we'll be able to swim off the strands. Seriously thinking of doing the river swim this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't mean to be rude but this thread has come up on this forum countless times and the same replies are always repeated. A simple use of the search feature and you will find all you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

1huge1 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but this thread has come up on this forum countless times and the same replies are always repeated. A simple use of the search feature and you will find all you are looking for.

You could say that about almost 50% of all threads...

Anyways, welcome to Limerick, no its not that bad, its actually a really nice place. Moved here myself in March and was aprehensive about it but was pleasantly surprised!

The only thing about Limerick that annoys me is the people, they are very self-defeatest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

solice wrote: »
    Moved here myself in March and was aprehensive about it but was pleasantly surprised!
    Good to hear. Tisn't bad really.

The only thing about Limerick that annoys me is the people, they are very self-defeatest!
    But sure - isn't that part of their charm? ;)

On a slightly more serious note, OP may encounter some cliqueness from some Limerickers. Ignore them. They weren't worth getting to know anyway. I'm Limerick born and bred and I despised that cliquey thing all my life. Kilkee is a fantastic place 65 miles to the west in Co. Clare but tends to give rise to many of these cliques amongst regular holidaymakers from Limerick City.

There is a good thread running on here now highlighting why moving here could be a good thing:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604301

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

wait until you get banned for this comment, criticising the divine and final decision of a (this?) mod!
    and me getting banned for this posting...

live with it - it's boards.ie...

Jezzzzz, twas a swift tough blow alright..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Very true, it's a real shame, but it's true.

How to change it though?

Advertisement