Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new IE 22000 series in near miss with idiot driver at Sligo level crossing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What a muppet.

Rag wrote:
    THESE are the terrifying images of a near-disaster when a train travelling at speed almost struck a car at a level crossing

WTF makes them terrifying? Maybe if you were either of the drivers it would have been a bit scary but really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Heard about this yesterday in the Sligo forum and it was also on RTE news last night.
    And locals had been complaining of the CCTV been put in place, just as well it was put in. Maybe there should be automatic barriers in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

Just to prove that stupidity lies on both sides, here's another story, this time a near-miss because Irish Rail staff left the level crossing up when the train was approaching.
    At 8.53am, the signalman advised the linesman that a train would pass the crossing very shortly and he could work away after it had passed. A minute later the barriers were automatically lowered because of the imminent arrival of the train. However, the linesman switched the barriers to manual at the same time which resulted in the barriers being raised and the extinguishing of warning lights to oncoming road traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Even with Automatic barriers you are always going to have idiots chancing their luck or not looking before they cross the line. I would be a damn sight more concerned about the possibility of a 22000 derailing on impact, whereas a loco hauled train would be more likely to blow the vehicle out of the way with less chance of injuries to rail passengers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe more the reason to shut down this dangerous Dublin / Sligo line until such time as they eliminate all manually operated level crossings.

Err. No. What is it with you and surreal reactionary thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Even with Automatic barriers you are always going to have idiots chancing their luck or not looking before they cross the line. I would be a damn sight more concerned about the possibility of a 22000 derailing on impact, whereas a loco hauled train would be more likely to blow the vehicle out of the way with less chance of injuries to rail passengers.
    One reason why loco driven trains are far more stable than DMU;s in a serious level X impact incident. Push Pulls would be even worse .

IR should consider keeping loco driven trains on the Sligo stretch until such time as the lethal crossings are removed, placing CCTV on them will not deter people, it will only expose how stupid people can get as we have already learned froim UK footage.

Top Gear safety vid about level crossings. Note they use an old loco instead of a DMU in their test demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpD06P7kiI

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I think the term "near miss" is a misnomer - it should be "near hit" because the train didn't actually hit the vehicle but nearly did, so it missed - had it hit it, then it would have been a "near miss"!

Sorry to be pedantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's just crazy that this type of crossing exists. Does anyone know what kind of a road it is that crossing the track shown in the CCTV stills? Is it a farm access or a country lane? I am just wondering about the lack of signage (though it may well be out of the frame) and one wonders should there be a big stop sign on either side of the crossing and markings on the road surface. Won't stop the idiots but it looks like from the images that you could be accross the tracks before you knew you had come across them is you know what you mean.

I presume the CCTV got the reg number. Also, most of the crossing I have seen have farm type gates on them. How many of this open type exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think 'near miss' refers that they missed, but were near :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Or that they "nearly missed" ie: smashed into eachother :D

I spy a fellow Geocacher too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 HeritageRailway

BrianD wrote: »
    It's just crazy that this type of crossing exists. Does anyone know what kind of a road it is that crossing the track shown in the CCTV stills? Is it a farm access or a country lane? I am just wondering about the lack of signage (though it may well be out of the frame) and one wonders should there be a big stop sign on either side of the crossing and markings on the road surface. Won't stop the idiots but it looks like from the images that you could be accross the tracks before you knew you had come across them is you know what you mean.

I presume the CCTV got the reg number. Also, most of the crossing I have seen have farm type gates on them. How many of this open type exist?

The crossing is signposted; look to the left of the photo and you will see it; it is not a clear photo so it's easily missed, unlike the signs saying "LEVEL CROSSING, STOP".

While it is easy to say that all crossings need to be fitted with automatic crossings, these cost upwards of €200,000 to fit so the up front capital costs are very high though staff savings pay it back in the long terms. The long term intention is to replace all or as many crossings as possible. Bridges are also considered to take out some of the private crossings; this was done on the WRC and in Cork recently but there are literally thousands of these crossing gates on the rail network in Ireland alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 HeritageRailway

One reason why loco driven trains are far more stable than DMU;s in a serious level X impact incident. Push Pulls would be even worse .

IR should consider keeping loco driven trains on the Sligo stretch until such time as the lethal crossings are removed, placing CCTV on them will not deter people, it will only expose how stupid people can get as we have already learned froim UK footage.

Top Gear safety vid about level crossings. Note they use an old loco instead of a DMU in their test demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpD06P7kiI

Overall, it is the momentum of a vehicle that dictates how much damage is caused or passed on in the case of a crash. The 22000 railcars don't have exposed buffers unlike locos; railcars are designed with integrated impact absorbing and crumple zones in mind. All of these lessen the effect of impact by absorbing momentum and make them somewhat less likely to derail in the case of a crash. The tubular design of the railcar also lessens the risk to passengers in the event of a derailment so overall they are safer should the worst happen.

Of course, if you are using Jeremy Clarkson to make rational balanced points to prove your point then you know you are onto a winner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Only if it is the loco that makes contact. A DVT wouldn't fare too well against a car, not to mention everything between it and the loco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

It looks as if we are back to the old conundrum with the locosexual community. DMU's are here to stay...end of story. There have been plenty of fatalities with locomotive hauled trains over the years, such as Clogh (1975), Dalkey (1979), Cherryville (1983). For example - elaborate on the near disaster that derailed a Knock Special in 1989, and cost Iarnrod Eireann 4 Million Pounds? There were two locomotives and a guards van leading that train. I suppose someone WANTs a fatality to prove that locomotives and coaches are "better". In my eyes, thats the sign of a warped mind. NIR managed well enough on DMU's for over 2 generations.

The fact of the matter is that a railway is meant for trains, not cars, cattle or people invading the permament way. That is why the sanctions for tresspass were so severe in the past, even though they are not rigorously enforced. Having had cab rides with locomotive drivers in other countries, one attitude is "Hoot, accelerate and pray", and I have been in two near misses like that. You REALLY do not want to experience the sick surge in the pit of your stomach, knowing that you can do nothing but wait. If you miss, theres the initial relief, followed by anger. Its a survivors shock that I cannot describe in words. A curious mix of relief, joy, anger, nerves, and fear that closely resembles getting the all clear from a fatal medical condition.

Drivers who commit such acts are clear evidence of something defective in the genetic pool. It does indicate something wrong with Darwins theory of evolution.

MYOB mentions "surreal reactionary thinking". I am inclined to agree that closing the Sligo line because of a level crossing incident follows that line of twisted "logic".

However, the post from RTTH exhibits a distinct lack of logic over a protracted period of time from the poster. It cannot be taken seriously, and unfortunately, neither can he.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

From the RAIU report:
    1.10 History of accidents/incidents at the crossing
    There have been a number of road traffic related incidents at XM 075. However, there are no known
    incidents directly related to Iarnród Éireann maintenance works.
    • On the 25th of January 2001 there was a reported near miss when a lorry broke through the
    barrier;
    • On the 1st of May 2002 there was a reported near miss when a lorry broke through the barrier
    in front of a train, and the train hit the broken barrier;
    • On the 15th of July 2002 there was a reported near miss when a barrier was struck by a lorry
    as a train approached;
    • On the 1st of June 2004 there was a reported near miss when a van drove through the
    barriers forty-seven seconds prior to a timber train passing through the crossing when
    travelling from Westport to Athlone;
    • On the 10th of November 2004 the barrier was struck by a road vehicle;
    • On the 26th of May 2005 the barrier was struck by a road vehicle;
    • On the 25th of August 2005 a car struck a post beside Ballymurray level crossings and dragged a warning sign over the crossing;
    • On the 31st August 2005 the barrier was struck by a road vehicle;
    • On the 21st of November 2005 there was a reported near miss when a car drove around the lowered barriers as a train passed;
    • On the 21st of February 2007 there was a reported near miss as a car failed to stop at the level crossing;
    • On the 1st of December 2007 a car damaged the crossing surface
    http://pdb.era.europa.eu/pdb/safety_docs/scert/getAttachment.aspx?id=3173&fname=08061401_Final_Ballymurray_Report.pdf

And that's just one crossing - albeit since it carries the N61 likely one of the more used ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

I was on a train about a year ago that had to stop outside Castlerea as a truck stopped just beyond the level crossing barrier, where the barrier lowered and got stuck between the cab and the trailer behind. Took a while for them to get the truck free too!

On the level crossing note, I don't think its feasible to have full automated level crossings on all the lines, there are vast quantities of farmers crossings and gates connecting fields that wouldn't justify the cost. I wonder if the cows would obey the barriers and flashing lights? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Haha, close the line. Unreal response.

I'm in Wroclaw Poland today, having travelled here by train from Berlin and having crossed hundreds of private level crossings with barely any signage at all.

People just know not to mess with a train I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

murphaph wrote: »
    Haha, close the line. Unreal response.

I'm in Wroclaw Poland today, having travelled here by train from Berlin and having crossed hundreds of private level crossings with barely any signage at all.

People just know not to mess with a train I suppose.

That said, i've been in Sweden allot and even in parts of Europe where you see tracks everywhere! very little signs, no fencing and people just have this instinct that you see tracks you look and think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That said, i've been in Sweden allot and even in parts of Europe where you see tracks everywhere! very little signs, no fencing and people just have this instinct that you see tracks you look and think!

Yes its called Natural Selection. Those country people who survive will be the ones with good eyesight, careful nature and consideration for rail users. In Dublin (DART area) those with short arms and little curiosity (ie.unable to reach the wires and not wondering what it would feel like to have xxxthousand volts pass through them) will be live to pass on their genes. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

Advertisement