Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 upgrade deal

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

The Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program kicks off today June 26th

Anyone who buys a PC from a participating OEM or retailer with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate on it will all receive an upgrade to the corresponding version of Windows 7 at little or no cost to customers. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program will be available until January 31st, 2010 – and is global! For more information on taking advantage of the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program, visit www.windows.com/upgradeoffer.

"The discount is 50% or more over the normal estimated retail price (ERP) of the two mainstream consumer editions. In the United States, you’ll be able to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $50 or get Windows 7 Professional for $100. Outside the U.S., Microsoft says, “the special low pre-order price will vary by country.”

If you live in the United Kingdom, France, or Germany, the pre-order period will open on July 15 and close on August 15—or while supplies last.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Apparently upgrading is an issue in Europe because of the EU's requirement that IE8 can't be included in the media. So you can't upgrade, you have to do a fresh install. That's what was being said yesterday anyway, not sure of the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, there is no upgrade versions for the EU only full install versions but they will cost the same as the upgrade packs.:)

Windows 7 HP for €50, can't go wrong really. Just stick it on a different partition untill you fell happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

For more info on the clean install required for Euro countries;

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade-windows-E

Looks like they are going to call it an upgrade even though it will mean a clean install. And, according to the Medion link I followed from here, http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx ( change the big 'W' in the link to small 'w' [ even Microsoft make typos.. ha ]) it will cost €19.95 to "upgrade" a brand new Medion PC.

I've been using Windows 7 betas for a while now and it does rock... highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just to make it clear,

All the multitudes of computers out there which currently use Vista, I assume are not eligible to cheap upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Just to make it clear,

All the multitudes of computers out there which currently use Vista, I assume are not eligible to cheap upgrades.

Correct. Only new machines purchased after the 26th of June '09 from the listed manufacturers in the selected countries. Not mentioned on dell.ie but it is on dell.com (US).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cas2007

https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx
    Ireland eligible but just now check if your computer is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks like netbooks won't be included if they have xp home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

looks like netbooks won't be included if they have xp home

No upgrade Vista for home basic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

So if this requires a clean install, do you need a copy of Vista to be installed on the machine already?

Say I have a server running ubuntu can I purchase an upgrade pack of Windows 7 or do I need to get the much more expensive full version?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Do-more wrote: »
    So if this requires a clean install, do you need a copy of Vista to be installed on the machine already?

Say I have a server running ubuntu can I purchase an upgrade pack of Windows 7 or do I need to get the much more expensive full version?

Because we're in the EU our upgrade version is the full version so we won't require windows to be preinstalled. If your using a US upgrade version of 7 then it will either A) check if windows is preisntalled and install over it or b) ask you for the original windows DVD eg vista dvd before it will allow you install a upgrade copy of 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maplanois

Just to make it clear,

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Correct. Only new machines purchased after the 26th of June '09 from the listed manufacturers in the selected countries. Not mentioned on dell.ie but it is on dell.com (US).

Are you sure about this? The way I understood it is the FREE upgrade is for any machine purchased after 26th June'09 and the $50 upgrade is available to everyone currently running Vista.

(I understand the $50 is the US pricing and we don't know the Uk/Ireland upgrade pricing yet)

Amazon US $50 Price

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

maplanois wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? The way I understood it is the FREE upgrade is for any machine purchased after 26th June'09 and the $50 upgrade is available to everyone currently running Vista.

(I understand the $50 is the US pricing and we don't know the Uk/Ireland upgrade pricing yet)

Amazon US $50 Price

maplanois you are correct this is the way the scheme is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Amazon US $50 Price

This seems to indicate that if you have a PC, but don't have Vista, you can buy Vista during the qualifying period and get an upgrade to Windows 7. But if you already have Vista, no upgrade.

Also, when you select Ireland here , you get the message:
    Our ordering site is not yet available for your region. Please return to this site on 31-August-2009 to order your upgrade.

Bit confusing really. Unusual for Microsoft :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maplanois

MOH wrote: »
    This seems to indicate that if you have a PC, but don't have Vista, you can buy Vista during the qualifying period and get an upgrade to Windows 7. But if you already have Vista, no upgrade.

Also, when you select Ireland here , you get the message:

Bit confusing really. Unusual for Microsoft :P

maybe they have 2 different offers as I also seen this:

Pre-Order USA

Pre-Order UK

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just to throw this in the mix, I've been testing Win 7 for about 4 months now, getting our apps more compliant.

Win 7 is excellent & that is a lot coming from me as I hate M$.

More than worth the upgrade in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

There are two issues here, upgrades for people who purchase a new PC/laptop between June 26th and October 22nd and people who have an older machine with Vista or XP.

MS have stated if you buy a new machine now they will give you a free
    upgrade to Win & when it is released. This is normal as otherwise people
    would hold off buying until the new OS is released and MS have done
    this with other products for over 10 years. You may have to pay a small
    fee for the media when Win 7 is released.

What is different this time is that MS have announced if you have an old
    machine with Vista on it already you can not buy a reduced 'upgrade'
    license in EMEA. You get no discount on a new Win 7 license if you
    already have a previous OS. These upgrades will be available in the US
    but MS are claiming the EU is preventing them selling here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

WINDOWS 7 RETAIL PRICES
    Home Premium - £149.99
    Professional - £219.99
    Ultimate - £229.99

WINDOWS 7 DISCOUNT PRICES
    Home Premium - £79.99
    Professional - £189.99
    Ultimate - £199.99

There is talk of MS discounting the price of the full product in EMEA
    for the first few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

According to linky, the suggestion is that although MS will not offer the upgrade option to EU customers, the price of the EU "full version" if preordered (after July 15th), will be the same as the US "upgrades".
    From July 15th until August 14th, the Home Premium version will be going for only £49.99 in the UK and $49.99 in the US, while the Professional edition will sell for just £99.99 in the UK and $99.99 in the US.

In the US these promotional prices will only apply to the upgrades, whereas in the UK they will be good for the full versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

maybe they have 2 different offers as I also seen this:

Pre-Order USA

Pre-Order UK

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

Yeah, I've now seen at least 3 different versions on various Microsoft sites, it's quite confusing. Think Drakar is right though:
    Drakar wrote: »
    According to linky, the suggestion is that although MS will not offer the upgrade option to EU customers, the price of the EU "full version" if preordered (after July 15th), will be the same as the US "upgrades".

Advertisement