Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one gain employment in an Irish Embassy?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have just finished my BA, and I am starting an MA in International Studies this September. Following on from this course I would like to gain employment in an Irish embassy.

Does anybody know the procedure on how to achieve this? Or is it easy or hard to get a placement in an Irish Embassy. I have heard something about having to do two years in Dublin with the Department of Foreign Affairs, and then they send you abroad to an embassy of THEIR choice. Is this true?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that you start as a civil servant in the department of Foreign Affairs - see here.

You should also read "An Accidental Diplomat" by Eamon Delaney - one person's account of their career in the DFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hi, I have just finished my BA, and I am starting an MA in International Studies this September. Following on from this course I would like to gain employment in an Irish embassy.

Does anybody know the procedure on how to achieve this? Or is it easy or hard to get a placement in an Irish Embassy. I have heard something about having to do two years in Dublin with the Department of Foreign Affairs, and then they send you abroad to an embassy of THEIR choice. Is this true?

Thanks guys

Appointments are made via competitions for third sec. positions. Last one was about 18 months ago IIRC. A second Sec. I know training was about 6 months in Dublin. You have no say in regard to your subsequent posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Just in case anybody else is interested in the same line of work, I have recentky learned that you spend two years working in Ireland and then you are assigned a post out foreign.

Advertisement