Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation On Concrete floor etc ??

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I have acouple of questions in regards insulation, I searched boards but got confused ,again !!

(1) The concrete 1st floor slabs are going in in a weeks time do these just sit on the walls (one central wall is on the flat) or are they cemented in ?? Do I have to insullate around this

(2) Do you have to insulate the slabs before the screed is poured, (thinking of one of them easy flo screeds) if so what thickness ?

(3) I am putting 60 mm Kingspan in the cavity buy when I check up on the plasters it seems like the insulation is not tight against each other or the wall in spots does this make it inefficient??

Thanks, Mr Confused !!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zamur

Hi,

You will get some good infor in this document on insulation. http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,19069,en.pdf

Was your house designed by an architect & engineer? If so, I assume they have designed the walls to accomdate the first floor slabs, that is if it was designed for slabs as opposed to traditional timber joist construction. The slabs usually rest on the wall.

Do you mean insulate the ground floor slab or first floor slab?

With regards to the cavity insulation, was this not put in by the bricklayers? And are you using correct cavity insulation, i.e one with a tongue and groove along with the required number of cavity wall ties - if so there should be no reason why it would not be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Hi Thanks for the link. Inregards you other queries i apologise for being so vague.(1)the house was designed for the slabs.I meant the insulation on the first floor (upstairs) And my plasters are you using the tongue and groove Kingspan, i am not sur about the amoust of waa ties they use, it looks like mortar falls onto the groove and they dont bother to clean it befor placing the next insulation on top !!

I

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

rodge68 wrote: »
    And my plasters are you using the tongue and groove Kingspan, i am not sur about the amoust of waa ties they use, it looks like mortar falls onto the groove and they dont bother to clean it befor placing the next insulation on top !!

Have your blocklayers flogged and thrown off. It's important not to have gaps in the insulation and any builder who does a job like you're describing has no pride or interest in their workmanship.
    Ask yourself what else could they doing badly that can't be seen and go sort them out.

Advertisement