Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6, 2.2

Options
  • 25-06-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Mazda seem to have introduced a 2.2 range of engines. Nothing on mazda.ie so I emailed them a few days ago just to get a response today.
    I am copy pasting their response here FYI. I think it is a great car and I will definitively consider upgrading to it soon.
    Thank you for your enquiry with regards the Mazda6. The new 2.2l diesel engine will be available in three power outputs the 125ps, 163ps and 185ps. Two of these power outputs (163ps and 185ps) are now available via our dealer network with prices starting from €31,145 for the Mazda6 2.2 (163PS) 4dr Sport model. The 125ps will be introduced later in the year and will be a direct replacement for the 2.0l 140ps engine currently available (pricing and performance will be almost identical).”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Considering the well documented problems of the 2.0 litre diesel in the last generation 6, I'd give this engine at least a year out in the public domain before considering it.

What are the Co2 ratings on these new engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

bazz26 wrote: »

This is what I found on channel 4

Both 127bhp and 161bhp versions of the 2.2 average 51.4mpg and emit just 147g/km of carbon dioxide.
    The high-powered diesel, meanwhile, averages 49.6mpg and emits 149g/km of CO2 which matches the lower-powered engines for road and company car tax.
    This fine performance is on par with the common-rail diesel that powers the Volkswagen Passat and it comfortably beats the 170bhp Peugeot 407 for both fuel consumption and emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Considering the well documented problems of the 2.0 litre diesel in the last generation 6, I'd give this engine at least a year out in the public domain before considering it.

They were well documented alright, but not as widespread as people might think.
    I'd have no hesitation getting the new 2.2. Looks like an excellent engine coupled with the best handling car in its class (yes, that does include the new Mondeo - even Autocar admit that). Pity the interior is poor. Wouldn't bother me, but lots of people care about interiors.

I think Mazda's biggest problem (at least here in Ireland) was the bizzare combinations of engines and trim. The high spec models only seemed to come in petrol. But it looks like the new 2.2 TD comes in most trim levels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I tried to get hold of a 2.2 Exec SE (125ps) and was told by 2 Mazda dealers that they aren't going to be available in Ireland until next year.

By mistake, 4 or 5 of the 2.2 163ps Sport models came in to Ireland and that's going to be it as far as 2.2 Mazda 6's are concerned for this year. At that point I was offered the last remaining 2.2, but for waaaay more than the price I'd used for the Exec SE quote.

In the end I got hold of a 2.0D Exec SE. Handled well, engine was a bit dead for a 140ps, but that's probably because there were 11km on it when I delivered it and it should improve over time. The interior was horrible! Vast expanse of cheap plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ya, I can't figure out how Mazda managed to make it so crap inside. The 3 is fine inside, and the 6 is crap. Pity, cause it's a fine car otherwise, with a decent 2.2 diesel, if Mazda Ireland would bother bringing them in.
    I don't know what it is with Mazda and Honda importers in this country, both should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

There was a test of the 2.2 some time ago(within the past month I think) in the Irish Times. I remember glanicing thjough it so cannot remember what it said exactly but to the best of my knowledge it said something that handling of a Mondeo is better but Mazda was better in some other field. The best thing is that it said you will feel as not in a carda car (due to the factthat Fardai have loads of Mondeo's).
    I was in the Avensis and Maza (2.0 L petrol SE trim) today and I did not get the feel that the interior was utterly plasticky. There is a feel that Avensis has a better build but that is probably me being subjective.
    Having a 2.2 Lengine with 185 ps is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Thats a good price. I was selling Mazda up to about 14 months ago. The price of a 2.0TD was €32500 approx for a bog standard Exec spec so that money for a sport is pretty good. Didn't realise the VRT changes were that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there any update on whether they have solved the issues with the 2.0d engine that are well documented on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

You thinking of buying a new 6?

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You thinking of buying a new 6?

I was thinking about it until I viewed some of the posts on here. Not a new one, maybe getting a used one from UK.

Now I have "shortened" my list of "to be considered" to:
    Ford S Max
    Toyota Verso
    Citroen C3 or C4 Picasso

To be honest, I'm going round and round in circles. The head says Toyota or Ford re reliability and/or cheaper parts & service, the heart wants something a bit more interesting. I think that the C3 Picasso might end up getting the nod if the heart wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Forget the posts here, just get the Mazda if you want it. That 2.2 engine is good.

The posts here where with regards the old 2.0 litre unit. The 2.2 litre unit is a different engine.

The posts here where with regards the old 2.0 litre unit. The 2.2 litre unit is a different engine.
    Thanks Bazz. I had asked that question in a different forum, i.e. whether the new engine had solved the issues of the old one, but yours is the first reply that suggests it has.

Well it is still a fairly new engine so it might be too early to know yet. If you are buying brand new at least you are covered under warranty for 3 years. If it were me buying, I'd probably wait another 12 months of being on the market before deciding on one.

Well it is still a fairly new engine so it might be too early to know yet. If you are buying brand new at least you are covered under warranty for 3 years. If it were me buying, I'd probably wait another 12 months of being on the market before deciding on one.
    I'm prob going to buy used in UK so am unlikely to take the chance to be honest. Prefer to spend less money anyhow, perhaps a 2 year old C4 Picasso or something. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement