Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use gas fridge and boiler while driving?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Cheeers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheeers,
    Marty.
    I normally don't (well I sometimes forget to switch over the fridge) but I notice my Truma manual makes some reference to running the space heater while driving (it talks about making sure the chimney is not angled incorrectly so that air is forced down while driving etc.) and does not explicitly forbid it. Dunno about the boiler - would be handy to have hot water when you arrive, no? There is a clever system in some fancier campers where the water from the engine cooling system is used to heat the shower water - neat idea.
    I'l go dig out the Truma manual and see if it says anything.

Later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm not sure if it's expressly forbidden, normally it should be alright, but in case of an accident, that's a different story.

Imagine torn gas pipe, free flowing gas, spark ...need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

http://www.albionwaterheaters.com/MarineCalorifiers.html

A Carbon monoxide alarm might be an idea too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers lads,
    Yeah bringing a baby away so would be handy to have hopt water to bath him when we arrive..it will be his bedtime!!!
    I can switch over the fridge n o problem!!
    Cheers,
    MArty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The boiler only takes 10-15 minutes to come up to temperature.
    If you make it the first thing you turn on after switching off the engine, the water will be ready by the time everything else has been prepared for Baby to have the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Looked up the Truma manuals for mine (1994) :

The Truma-Boiler (no part number or model given!) says you can use it while travelling but explicitly says it is NOT to be used while refuelling or while in a garage.

The Trumatic heater (S3002K) says also that it can be used while travelling but says if so a T-cowel should be fitted on the roof. It does not forbid use while refuelling but it seems a bit risky...

As Peasant says - you would be safer to just not use either while moving, just tell yourself (and anyone else!) that it's not safe.
    You will be amazed at how fast the heater will warm up the van anyway, and by the time you have beds made up etc the water will be warm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Gas fridge might keep blowing out while driving?

presuming your hooking up 240v... Boil a kettle when you arrive & save your gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers lads,
    Fridge seemed to work perfect on the gas whilst driving..in fact it seemed to work much better on gas than on 240 or 12V as i used them all over the weekend to check they all worked.
    Didnt bother with the boiler and as you all suggested it heated up in no time..in any case there was hot water avilable in the campsite we stayed in (white bridge)
    Thanks again,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

I don't know about here in Ireland but in the UK it is not allowed to run gas appliances in caravans/motorhomes whilst going through tunnels, in petrol stations, or on ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

It is not recommended to use fridge on gas while driving , with the flickericg soot builds up & it will block up the little jet, would be a bit of a pain to be on hols & fridge not working especially with a baby,

• Advertisement
Advertisement