Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding in Spain? What should a man wear?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Im going to a friends wedding in Spain in July. What should i wear. Urgent help needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sunscreen, and lots of it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hotshot_rf

i dont burn. and your not helping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

a suit .... maybe without a tie - if you think you'll suffer from the heat - try a light coloured suit (linen would be best)

thanks a mill, i want to wear something i can wear again so not convinved about the whole linen thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

My brother went to a wedding in Croatia, he wore a dark suit. Everyone else was wearing a light coloured suit, he felt out of place and really really warm he said.

• Advertisement

thanks a mil tywy, so do you mean i should go for a normal suit but cream or green in colour instead of normal black/dark grey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

What about a light grey suit?? Not too dark and a colour you could wear again!!
    Would you ever really wear a cream suit here though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

seen as its spain i dont think a suit would be very advisable.

I think just underwear :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Navy suit (try linen!) and a nice pale shirt, open at the top and no tie. Panama hat optional :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cos of where it is I'd say fitted blazer with open top shirt, just need to wear the blazer during the photos and maybe in church itself. Could just wear jeans under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

sacha-baron-cohen-bruno-the-bull.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Have seen pictures from two weddings in Spain, and all the men were wearing cream coloured suits, some with ties, some without. I suppose the science is that the light colour won't absorb the heat like a dark suit would, but the colour also suits the dark skin complexion of the natives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

wear cream chino's and a white shirt.. simple..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I would agree with the chinos and shirt. And they can both be worn again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Was at a wedding in Sardinia last year. Beige chinos and a pale (blue, usually) shirt was the order of the day. Looked cool and felt cool as far as I know. Tie's aren't necessary in high temperatures so don't think you'd be obliged to wear one. If so you can take it off right after ceremony anyway.

I would give any kind of dark suit a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 michaelgriffin8

Definitely go with a light grey suit...you'll wear it home aswell whereas with a beige suit you probably wouldnt get as much use out of it. It would probably look best with a crisp white shirt. Also, i dont think anyone has mentioned it but you would need to invest in a decent pair of suitable sunglasses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The light grey suit sounds like a good comprimise. You should be able to wear it again here as well as being cool over in Spain. Unless you specfically know that casual or less formal clothing is OK for the wedding, I'd stick with a suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

I think you would be mad to wear a suit, first off your going to need a light coloured one which you may not wear when you get home and secondly it would be uncomfortable in the heat.
    Defo go for chino's and a shirt it can still look very dressy. Im going to a wedding next week in Spain and my OH is not wearing a suit and not many of the other guests are either.
    Once your shirt is a nice dressy shirt your sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

pookie82 wrote: »
    Was at a wedding in Sardinia last year. Beige chinos and a pale (blue, usually) shirt was the order of the day. Looked cool and felt cool as far as I know. Tie's aren't necessary in high temperatures so don't think you'd be obliged to wear one. If so you can take it off right after ceremony anyway.

I would give any kind of dark suit a miss.

No, avoid wearing a shirt if at all possible. A shirt, even a pale blue one, will absorb all your underarm sweat and clearly show unsightly sweat patches (please see pics below for reference). This is not an ideal situation, and the evidence will remain in wedding photos for all eternity. Please think carefully about your choice of attire!

article-0-02C0564900000578-781_468x630.jpg

cruiseBIG280707_468x618.jpg

Sweat1a.jpg

200125832-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=79D94D7195D79F82ABF5EA4B0DB6EA7FCA62DE5246472DD0

May I suggest a pair of shorts and a wifebeater (colour of your preference). At least you will be comfortable in the heat, and there's little chance that your will suffer sweat-patch syndrome. Let me know what you think.............

thanks to all for the advice, i orginially was going to go with a light grey suit but decided i wouldnt wear it again at home, so instead im going to opt for chinos, a nice shirt and a beige jacket, not sure about a tie or not. what do you think. Many Thanks for all your advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

LINEN! Don't disgard/disregard it OP. You want natural fibres to keep you cool. White linen shirt, open necked, beige two piece linen suit, a pair of loafers.
    It's not just a once off purchase, I wear linen suits all year round.

Edit: Something like this: link

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

ya maybe a tie, but no jacket, no need it'll be roasting... that suit in the link looks fab..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AudreyLOL

Hi,

I laughed a lot reading this tread so I HAD to register and leave a comment.

Really, what you should wear depends on the etiquette or the category of the wedding - if it's a low profile/low class wedding you can get away with almost anything, even jeans! (But I suggest not to wear this).

If it were a really formal wedding, the bride and groom would have said so in the wedding invitation, and specified what men and women should be wearing. For instance, women should be wearing broad-brimmed hats and men should wear smoking or suit with waistcoat.

As I think neither of these is your case I'll tell you what is the common thing for men in spanish weddings.
    Wear a suit, no matter the colour or material. If you already have a darker suit that's fine - loads of men wear that! The heat is no problem because celebration halls all have air conditioned.

Just be yourself, and please, don't choose a bright colour shirt, such as orange. Get a plain light pink or blue one. If you think you'll have sweat problems get a white one so that you don't get marks. (remember white does NOT go with cream chinos). Always long sleeved, and wear a tie, please! (at least in the church, and not black)

I think chinos and shirt is too informal for a wedding, even though some peole wear them - but that depends on how you want to come across.

Hope I helped and you enjoy the wedding anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Fully agreed with the above - chinos and a shirt are too informal for most weddings, regardless of location. For a teenager, yes, grand; for a grown man at his friend's wedding, frankly I think it to be rather school-palish and awkwardly casual.

Similarly, purchasing a pair of chinos and a beige jacket that match sounds distinctly dodgy, and again will probably look too informal if the right note is not hit.

How a grey suit could possibly not be worn again in Ireland is beyond me. They are arguably far superior a choice for any wedding, anywhere, and look great for work and formal occasions. A grey suit solves all problems. A light suit fulfills the Spanish dilemma, but wearing that at home will be a problem alright.

Grey suit, or a as mentioned above, a luxurious dark navy number with a crisp white shirt. Feck the climate - the jacket can come off at the reception.

Advertisement