Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Grooming Qualification

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm working full time as a veterinary nurse.I want to get qualified as a dog groomer to have something extra.Does anyone know of a part time professional dog grooming course that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.Kilroys college isen't any good as they don't physically train you how to groom,its just theory.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Killester College do an accredited grooming night course.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

not sure if its the same in dublin but theres been an explosion of groomers in cork over the last couple of years. or more importantly wanna be groomers, people are doing courses which are 10 x half day classes and then setting up in their sheds and thinking they can charge full whack prices for doing a terrible job. We've found it hard to filter out the proper groomers from the amatures. i'll prob do a course myself at some point but just so i can groom my own dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

Hi,
    Irun grooming courses in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, I am a London Trained LCGI, NPTC/City & Guilds Advanced Level 3 Groomer with over 20 years grooming experience, my web page is www.thegroomingpad.com if you want any information, please feel free to contact me by phone, text, email or call into the shop for a chat.
    Ann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

I would definately recommend doing a course with a fully qualified dog groomer such as anne from the grooming pad or anyone who has full qualifications.

I notice many of the fully qualified groomers are in Dublin or near to Dublin who run grooming courses.

I live in near limerick and did a course in animal care in croom i would love to do a full grooming course but Dublin would be out of my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I actually went up the north to do my course it was for 3 weeks cost me a fair amount but was cheaper than the ones down here.I havent actually done anything with it so far but hope in the future to get bk into it. I will have to get some sort of work experience tho before I feel confident enough to set up my own business. Theres no way anyone is qualified after 3 -4 weeks training:eek: It is strange that in Ireland there are no proper qualifications. U can do a city and guilds after a few years afaik but basically anyone can set up a business and say theyre qualified. Its crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Paul Hogan runs grooming courses here in Limerick.

Emer from bark avenue is now running grooming courses here in Limerick also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

St. John's Central College in Cork do a 22 week course, one night per week and it's FETAC recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

i think the ladys name is karina she owns woofters shes brilliant and does a course i dont think the likes of the fetac courses really benfit you if you search woofters you will get a link to her course !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Why wouldn't a FETAC qualification benefit you? The course in St. John'sv for example is totally hands-on, with three hours classtime each week for twenty two weeks, with ongoing assessments plus theory examinations. That's enough to give any one a really good grounding. I'd love to do it but the course fee is €500!

Thanks Boomerang, i would be willing to spend €500 on the course better than paying €2000 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

how much is paul hogan & bark avenues course? how long are they? are you fully qualified at the end of the course?

To be fully qualified you need a city and guilds.

Advertisement