Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Bulldog and Coton de Tulear query

Options
  • 25-06-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a couple of puppies. First off, they will be at home with someone who is terrified of dogs so I am thinking nothing too intimidating.
    Also I'm thinking of getting two pups so they can grow together.

I have never had a dog before but I am doing all the research and this is something I have been thinking about for many years now.

The 2 breeds im hoping to get are:

1) A miniature bulldog puppy
    2) A coton de tulear puppy

Now as im a novice could you tell me if that is a good combination. Will they interact and play with each other etc.....? (sorry if my questions are stupid)

also temperment wise are these dogs ok around someone (my wife) who may be a tad nervous?
    I know there is lots of info online but id like to hear some first hand info from people who have had such breeds from being pups.

Also if you were to choose one of the breeds which one would you pick and why?

Any help you guys could give me would be great.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Just a few notes on the bulldog. I would stay well away from anybody selling 'mini' bulldogs, there is no such breed, and I would avoid anyone advertising mini specimens like the plague!
    Bulldogs, in my opinion, are not for the first time dog owner. They are as a breed, crippled with many genetic problems, and after spending 1000-odd euro on a pup, you might find yourself the owner of a 'financial liability'. The can suffer terribly with eye, hip, respiratory, cardiac and spinal problems. Although bulldog breeders may argue that they are trying to breed these deformities out of the breed, many are still just in it to make money. Personally, I would not touch this breed with a bargepole.
    They can and usually do have great temperaments, but can be stubborn as bedamned and need the firm hand of someone with training experience.
    I've seen bulldogs with permanent tracheostomies due to chronic respiratory problems, and they simply cannot be walked on warm days because their bodies can't keep cool due to the poor confirmation of their skulls.
    Also, I don't think that a bulky, heavy, cumbersome breed like the bulldog would be a suitable companion to a delicate little coton de tulear pup, who sadly, are not without their own problems.
    Instead of paying breeder thousands of euro for two random pedigree pups, why not rescue a pup? I'm not getting on my 'all dogs should be rescued' soapbox, but I really think that the bulldog is a very poor choice, why spend a fortune on an unhealthy dog and encourage further breeding, when you could save the life of some plucky little crossbreed for next to nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Nicely said, Ruby. Also, Jayob, I wouldn't get two puppies together. Aside from the work of trying to train two puppies, there's a good chance they'll bond more strongly to each other than to you if raised together (I think it's called litter syndrome but a more knowladgeable person than me might be able to confirm the name). If you really want two puppies then I reccommend getting just one first, train it and wait till it's at least six months before bringing in another. Just to make life a little easier for yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Thanks guys.

May I ask what is wrong with the Coton de tulear? You say it is not without problems of its own??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Not many that are specific to the breed thankfully. But as a toy breed they can suffer from toy breed problems: namely blocked tear ducts, corneal ulceration, skin sensitivity, gastroenteritis and some skeletal issues such as Legge Calve Perthes disease, vertebral disc protrusions or luxating patellas etc.
    This is still a relatively uncommon breed that is not hugely represented among commonly presented breed-related problems. Unlike the bulldog :O
    Just be very careful where you get the pup, ensure that the parents are sound. Contact the breed club to see what the relevant health checks are pertaining to the breed and ensure that all tests have the accompanying paper work / certs. I'm not trying to scaremonger, but just make sure that you spend time researching the best breeder, if you're not happy for any reasons with the pup, do not feel obliged to purchase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Emmm ...
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    ... they will be at home with someone who is terrified of dogs ...
    are you sure that's a good plan?

Pups need lots of dedicated input, training and care. Someone not entirely dedicated to "the cause" might do more harm than good in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt be getting a dog if someone in the household is terrified of them.

Dogs are very sensitive to people and will pick up on that straight away and its not fair to the dog if the person is afraid of them or doesnt like them.

I would def think long and hard about this before you get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

In my opinion everyone in the house should be 100% dead keen and happy about getting a dog. Otherwise it won't work out, and at the first sign of trouble there'll be a row. ("You clean it up, it's your bloody dog", "you're the one who got him in the first place", "no you walk him, he's yours") and the list goes on.
    Not to mention the potential damage by chewing, digging, etc. etc.
    Sorry but just painting the reality.

Advertisement