Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats my body shape?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I have always struggled with my weight and image but am losing weight this last year and am really struggling with understanding how to dress for my shape? i used to just wear it if it fit....
    any good sites that give advice? i dont know if i am appleshaped or pear shaped? i know i have a big bust and chunky calves and if i was thinner i'd have more of an hour glass figure as i have a sorta smallish waist..... but in terms of what kind of fabrics and shapes to wear i am a little lost....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

you could try this link. if you post a picture of yourself others will tell you your body type.

http://www.youlookfab.com/welookfab/forum/your-body-type

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Well where do you put on weight when you do put it on?
    If you put it on your arse and thighs then you're more pear shape, if you put it on your belly you're apple shape. They're very general though. You sound like you know what you are anyway.
    I'm a bit pear shaped and often take a bigger size for my lower half than my upper half so 12 for jeans and 10 for tops.
    You could get a stylist consultation done if you feel like a treat and they'll tell you your shape and what suits you.
    You could book the free stylist in Debenhams. They'll help you pick styles and colours to suit you and there's no obligation to buy plus they're free.
    Or the Dundrum town centre have stylists that charge for a 45 min consultation: http://www.dundrum.ie/style_what.asp

I've had a consultation done so I know what suits me but it's still hard to pick stuff out in shops, esp if you're not in the mood, but knowing what colours and shapes suit you is definitely a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

May I jump in and ask about mine too?

I don't know what shape I am at all. My body is weird.
    I have a small bum and slimish legs, a bit of a belly, huge hips, a somewhat defined waist, and small boobs! Is that an apple? My boyfriend (god bless him!) tells me that he thinks it's hour glass!
    I've started the gym so hopefully that will tone me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

There are actually 9 body types based on whether your apple(weight around tummy) or pear (weight in thighs and bum) and also when you are an endo, ecto or meso type which is based on how easy you put on weight or muscle. Ecto means you are one of those skinny people who never put on weight and endo means you tend to put on weight easily. Meso means you are kinda inbetween and also put on muscle quite easily from workouts.

Its really good to know your own body type for effective work outs. For example I am a meso pear so have to do heavy weights for my upper body to try and balance out my overall shape. Also plenty of cardio to keep weight down on lower half.

I know this isn't really relating to fashion but just lets you know you are not stuck with your shape if you want to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

YT wrote: »
    May I jump in and ask about mine too?

I don't know what shape I am at all. My body is weird.
    I have a small bum and slimish legs, a bit of a belly, huge hips, a somewhat defined waist, and small boobs! Is that an apple? My boyfriend (god bless him!) tells me that he thinks it's hour glass!
    I've started the gym so hopefully that will tone me up!

try the shape calculator at:
    http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd/static.do?page=landingpage19

before, i would have thought I was an apple/hourglass but this tells me I'm a vase. If you're an hourglass, you'd have big boobs and hips, but bless your boyfriend, your small waist would give that impression :-)

It sounds that you would need to balance your two halves - avoid skimpy vest tops, or at least have layers on your top half, to counteract the bottom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Hmm, Apparently I'm a "brick". Any one else think we should have sticky for body shape. How to figure out what it is and how to dress it?..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I would agree. Definitely in need of a sticky

I got an hourglass, I would say thats about right, but some of the questions I wasn't sure of the answer. So i could be a vase or a cello too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

lisa_eire wrote: »
    you could try this link. if you post a picture of yourself others will tell you your body type.

http://www.youlookfab.com/welookfab/forum/your-body-type

That sounds daunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

MIne said hourglass, but I think more of a vase. The problem with it is it asks you your own opinion rather than exact measurements so its a guessing game. I mean I know my shoulders and hips are the same but I dont know if they are in proportion to my body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Vase apparently, interesting calculator!

Advertisement