Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody ever swim in Lough Gur?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Its not too far from where I live, its a lovely spot, would be nice if we could go swimming there, but the signs warning about something caled beware of etrophication (?) put me off.
    Has anybody swam there, or does anybody know anything about the water quality in the lake there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

There's a lovely spot for picnics/swimming on the Clare side bout 4 ish miles from Killaloe. The lake has been passed fit for swimming for some time now... enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

etrophication means that there is an excess of nutrients in the water which causes an excess growth of algee bloom in the water which can cause fish kills as when the algee dies it uses up all the oxygen in water!!!

the problem tho is the fact the excess nutrients comes from human waste animal waste and factory waste.

also as far as i kno algee bloom can be dangerous to human health!

hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi Pacman,
    thanks for your post, but Im afraid it just confused me! does this mean that it is not safe for humans to swim in Lough Gur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

eh yes it can be harmful to human health. but eutophication only happens in certin parts of the year! usually late summer! but i would imagine its safe to swim in areas where there is no algee.. you will clearly see where there is algee as the water does have a green colour! ( like toxic waste )

I would avoid swimming where there is algee! the chances are you would be safe but there is always that chance

have a look at this report
    http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/factsheets/pdf/water/w3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have swam there, and believe it or not i skated on it once upon a time. also the rumour mill has it that a few cars are in the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yeah ive swam there loads too..not in a few years now...used to do a bit of sailing on it too...fell in a fair few times too...youll be grand!!

Advertisement