Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Days!

Options
  • 25-06-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering when shoudld I be going to Open Days in different colleges? I am going into 5 year(I'm not doing TY) and I'm a bit unsure about this one? Do students only go to them in 6th year? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It varies from school to school. Mine took us in sixth year, but other schools believe that sixth year shouldn't be disrupted by trips and open days and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I think it'd be worth going both years,even if you're not technically supposed to..I couldn't get to some open days in 6th year cos I had things on at the weekend and friday was too crucial a day to miss. They'll probably let everyone off for tcd in 6th year cos theirs is usually on during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I went to a few open days to get a day off during 5th year, fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Generally if one goes in 5th year it's for sh1ts and giggles rather than educational reasons. And in 6th year, teachers will let you off easier if you tell them you were out at an open day; but 5th year.. They might smite you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye tends to vary from school to school, organised trips are done sometimes. Other times you have to go yourself. If there's a place you're interested in you could find out their open day and arrange it yourself.
    If not, then wait til you get back to school and ask the guidance counsellor what the plan is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

in my opinion, its not worth your time in 5th year! your gonna forget why you liked/didnt like the college and need to go again 6th year anyways! and its motivation in 6th year to study, but in 5th year its just a college you may want to go to in a few years. thats just my opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I went to one last year, when I was in 5th year and it was practically a day off because no teachers went only a few students.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Go in 5th year if its to a college you are seriously considering! even if you only have a quick look around, get loads of brochures etc its nice to get an idea and know if you want to back in 6th year for a serious look! like as long as you are only going to a few its ok! obviously not going to everyone!! i went to ucc,nuig,ul and mary i in 5th year and went back to the ones i was really considering in 6th year! plus by the time some of them are on in 6th year it can be a bit late, and you would really want to have an idea what ya want to do by the time they come around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'd say go to some in 5th year, as many as you can, cos in leaving cert if the school doesn't organise it you're missing some work which you should try to avoid in lc...our school didn't organise any in either year, and i didn't go to any in 5th year, so in leaving cert all that i had time for was 2.
    If you get the chance, go to as many as you can in 5th year, and then in leaving cert you'll have a fairly good idea already of where you want to go, so you can go back for a second look:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Didn't go to one Open Day in 5th or 6th year.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

My school was not that tolerant with letting students out for open days especially when they could go on the Saturday.
    In cases when there was not a option to go on Saturday students could attend but only if they got permission for the career guidance teacher and she would have to agree that it would be beneficial.

Of-course these limitations are only really on paper and it is up to the student involved. That said however they are good guidelines to follow.

They are important to go to though as it will give you some idea of the university and the courses they offer.

Many universities will also offer another open day later in the year to those who have put one of their courses on the CAO application form. This may be a good alternative if you cannot attend the actual open-day but wish to get more information about the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

If you could get to the Higher Options seminar in 5th year I think it would be really beneficial but I dunno how the tickets work for that because our school organised it for us. That way you can talk to the people from the colleges and get a couple (believe me you don't want to take more than 4) of prospectus's. Wish I could have gone in 5th year, it would have given me a much better focus and less stress of picking courses in 6th year.
    Going to colleges early really lets you get a good idea if it's the place for you and course too. I would strongly suggest not wasting your time on colleges you have no interest in, you feel like a waster after doing it and it's of no benefit to anyone. Go to as many weekend open days as you can in 5th year and if you are really interested in a course and have more questions you can alwasy go back next year! :D

Advertisement