Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Sale ends 28/06/2009

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

For anyone in the market for a new telly. As always I'm sure they have limited stock on all.

Seen this at the front and back of Herald am. Samsung 42'' HD Ready Plasma for €649. Phillips 32'' HD Ready LCD for €399. LG 50'' Full HD Plasma for €999. Hisense 42'' Full HD LCD for €589. Amstar 46'' HD Ready LCD for €687. Phillips 42'' Full HD LCD for €749. Zepto 52'' Full HD LCD for €999.

And also the New Samsung 40'' Full HD LED for €1299.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Any model no's mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Just seen the model numbers in small print beside description.

Samsung 42'' HD Ready Plasma for €649. PS42B451
    Phillips 32'' HD Ready LCD for €399. 32PFL3403
    LG 50'' Full HD Plasma for €999. 50PS3000
    Hisense 42'' Full HD LCD for €589. LCD42W57EU
    Amstar 46'' HD Ready LCD for €687. LCD42W57EU
    Phillips 42'' Full HD LCD for €749. 42PFL3604
    Zepto 52'' Full HD LCD for €999. DS52780W09

And also the New Samsung 40'' Full HD LED for €1299. UE40B6000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was in Argos today about to purchase this....http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5293599/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C12160455/c_2/2%7Ccat_12160455%7CTelevisions%7C12160649/c_3/3%7Ccat_12160649%7C32+inch+LCD+TVs%7C12160650.htm

But they had a new till system and it stopped working so I couldnt buy it. Also with the hold up of getting a credit card, online isnt a choice at the minute.

So which is a better tv that Lg one or the Phillips 32" one mentioned above both around the 400 euro mark?

Will be used for gaming and tv (also want to be able to hook up a laptop to it for streaming) The lg one has this connection but couldnt find if the phillips one has?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

eioneill wrote: »
    Just seen the model numbers in small print beside description.

Samsung 42'' HD Ready Plasma for €649. PS42B451
    Phillips 32'' HD Ready LCD for €399. 32PFL3403
    LG 50'' Full HD Plasma for €999. 50PS3000
    Hisense 42'' Full HD LCD for €589. LCD42W57EU
    Amstar 46'' HD Ready LCD for €687. LCD42W57EU
    Phillips 42'' Full HD LCD for €749. 42PFL3604
    Zepto 52'' Full HD LCD for €999. DS52780W09

And also the New Samsung 40'' Full HD LED for €1299. UE40B6000

thats a great price for that tv,ive been looking at buying it for the last few weeks,.was 1200 up until a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

jackncoke wrote: »
    thats a great price for that tv,ive been looking at buying it for the last few weeks,.was 1200 up until a few days ago

Richersounds have it on their site for 719 sterling. So that's about 850 Euro. So could be worth haggling a bit more with HN.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/lg/50ps3000/lg-50ps30starstar

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Was in Argos today about to purchase this....http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5293599/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C12160455/c_2/2%7Ccat_12160455%7CTelevisions%7C12160649/c_3/3%7Ccat_12160649%7C32+inch+LCD+TVs%7C12160650.htm

But they had a new till system and it stopped working so I couldnt buy it. Also with the hold up of getting a credit card, online isnt a choice at the minute.

So which is a better tv that Lg one or the Phillips 32" one mentioned above both around the 400 euro mark?

Will be used for gaming and tv (also want to be able to hook up a laptop to it for streaming) The lg one has this connection but couldnt find if the phillips one has?

Just had a quick glance over them both there mate. The Philips one has a PC input via VGA cable so if your laptop has this then you'd be good to go.

The contrast ratio on the Phillips is 24000:1 compared to the LG's 15000:1

The sound on the Philips is 2x5W compared to LG's 2x7W

Going by the difference in the contrast ratio's I myself would probably sway towards the the Philips.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Going by the difference in the contrast ratio's I myself would probably sway towards the the Philips.

I would take zero notice of company claimed contrast ratios, it is a meaningless number.

Instead trying looking for reviews of both TV's on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

joe123 wrote: »

You can get the 32lh2000 for around the same price delivered from richersounds, which has an mpeg4 tuner...

bk wrote: »
    I would take zero notice of company claimed contrast ratios, it is a meaningless number.

Instead trying looking for reviews of both TV's on the web.

I think it would be a bit naive to take zero notice of the contrast ratios. Higher contrast ratios on televisions generally lead to sharper blacks and better overall image quality which in my opinion is noticeable when gaming.

I agree with the review part though. You'd need to check what the LCD is like for receiving standard television. Some of the LCD's are awfull when it comes to this. Would probably be best is you go into each shop and check them out before buying aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I think it would be a bit naive to take zero notice of the contrast ratios. Higher contrast ratios on televisions generally lead to sharper blacks and better overall image quality which in my opinion is noticeable when gaming.

I assume he's refer to this: http://www.hometheatermag.com/advicefromtheexperts/0806specsmythsandlies/

Nothing beats seeing it in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Regarding contrast ratio, I was shown a difference between a Pioneer plasma with very low contrast ratio specs and a Sony full hd with very high conrast ratio specs, and Sony couldn't even come near when it came to black color and some other image quality.

Basicly he said that contrast ratio is just a smal part of the total quality.

Like u can have a car with super engine, but if you have **** quality on the rest of the components under the hood, then you wont be getting that total blowminding experiance that u think you are buying.

it's about overal quality not just one spec.

rubicon99 wrote: »
    it's about overal quality not just one spec.

Very true mate. But when there's not much difference in any of the other specs I would be swayed towards the one with the higher contrast ratio. Obviously I would check out the tv before buying. The difference in some of the LCDs disregarding specs etc. can be huge.

Anyone know seen the new LED's in action?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very true mate. But when there's not much difference in any of the other specs I would be swayed towards the one with the higher contrast ratio.

Sigh, and then you would have been fooled by their marketing. Please, please read this from the above linked article.
    In reality, these numbers are meaningless, and mostly bunk. Unlike how most things are measured (like gas mileage on a car for instance), there is no specified way to measure contrast ratio. This can lead to wildly different numbers. One company could measure their TV at a color temperature of 9300 Kelvin, which will be a completely different number if the TV were set at the correct color temperature of 6500K. Another case a company could remove elements in the screen, getting a great number, but one that is unlike anything you'd get in your home. In our labs, we often measure contrast ratios that are less than half what the specified numbers are. Sometimes, they're even less than that. If we haven't measured the models you're looking at (sorry!) then trust your eyes over this spec.

So let me repeat that contrast ratio are completely useless way to judge a TV.
    rubicon99 wrote:
    Regarding contrast ratio, I was shown a difference between a Pioneer plasma with very low contrast ratio specs and a Sony full hd with very high conrast ratio specs, and Sony couldn't even come near when it came to black color and some other image quality.

Exactly and Pioneer unquestionably make the best TV's with the absolutely best picture quality and black levels on the market, which no other manufacturer (especially not over priced Sony LCD's) come even close to.

In fact Pioneer don't even bother to list contrast ratio in their specs, as they know it is meaningless marketing. You put a Pioneer next to any other TV and you can immediately tell which is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bk wrote: »
    In fact Pioneer don't even bother to list contrast ratio in their specs, as they know it is meaningless marketing. You put a Pioneer next to any other TV and you can immediately tell which is better.

True. In any case, Pioneer were probably listing the Native contrast ratio, the Sony were probably listing the dynamic contrast ratio.
    LCD's usually list the dynamic figure, which is usually way higher. For a direct example, there is a Panasonic Plasma that has something like 40,000:1 native and 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. So if you quoted the Panasonic native at 40,000:1 and the Sony dynamic figure which would be something like 50,000:1 then you'd be fooled into thinking the Sony was better.

Advertisement