Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roof

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I am building a stone house and have finished the stone/block walls at last, next is to build the roof and I have a few questions to those who know out there
    1 going to use Blizzard breather plus felt, (the roof is 2/3 cold roof & 1/3 warm roof ) is there any advantage or disadvantage in doubling up the rows of felt, ( I'm a belt and braces man ! )
    2 what lenght wire nails should I use to nail the 7"x2" rafters to 9"x3" purlins
    3 what type & lenght nails should I use to nail the 2"x1" battons so I never have a problem with corrosion in the future
    4 was intending to treat all roof timber with ProTim Brown solvent based presertive, conserned with possible vapour given off this over time , had intended to give them 3 or 4 coats
    if any of you are on facebook, have a look at my page for the photos of the house , I think this is the link - http://www.facebook.com/colm.obrien1?ref=name , any help would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

hi colm
    there is no advantage to doubling up on the felt
    I would us 4 inch nails nailed at a angle down through the rafter to the perlin
    You can get 52mm galvanised nail for a nail gun that wont rust and make the job very quick
    I would only treat the ridge fasica sofit lat and eves , dont see the need to treat the rest as it should allready be pressure treated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colm ob

Paul , thanks for clearing thoes up, the wood is raw not treated , and my brother at home had a problem caused by a second hand wardrobe brought in wood worm which worked it's way up into the attic before he spotted it, one never knows, anyway he treated the whole roof and awful job in position, hence my move to treat my roof timbers while on the ground. I paid for the roof timbers today , so they will be delivered next week and then the fun begins , thanks again Paul

Advertisement