Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Magic Number - 100k

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Just picking up on another thread about the magic number that is 100k. my car is a '05 and its hitting 80k, and despite our roads and a set of low profile 18's honestly despite a maf issue, its still bolted together like it had 18k.

So over the next say 20k what can I expect to fall off the car just so I can perform some preventive maintenance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Nothing, but it'll be worth half what it was worth at 99k :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ahem, depreciation is a dirty word around here, so anything I should be replacing, bushings (wtf) etc ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

What car is it?

Its a SEAT Altea 2.0TDi (its not a weapon though, just a car)

There's nothing that will suddenly break at 100k, not at least from my understanding of how cars are put together, but with that mileage you will need to keep a closer eye on engines, turbos, suspension etc. due to the probable wear. You'll probably need to be even more particular on servicing etc. to keep it running sweet.

Off topic, this "crisis" was the best thing that ever happened for car enthusiasts in Ireland. It has meant the cost to change figures for pretty exotic cars have never been so low. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

I brought one car up to 230k without any major problems (drive shaft went at 230). Should be fine, it's all about how you have looked after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't exchange any suspension components, only if and when they fail.

things to consider might be (if they haven't been done under normal service schedules):

- complete coolant change
    - gearbox oil change
    - checking (and replacing if necessary) of window/door/boot seals ...torn seals are a great cause of rust

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ahem, depreciation is a dirty word around here, so anything I should be replacing, bushings (wtf) etc ??

Timming belt / water pump will need doing, check manual for service intervals. Some of the basics can be done yourself if happy doing so, like plugs, oil change, brake discs, pads and shoes (rear). Follow the thread Volvoboy started on 'servicing your own car'.

peasant wrote: »
    - complete coolant change
    - gearbox oil change
    - checking (and replacing if necessary) of window/door/boot seals ...torn seals are a great cause of rust

Aren't modern gearboxes and coolant systems often "sealed for life"?

Like the advice on checking seals. Good advice.

Gypo wrote: »

If by "life" you mean the amount of time that passes until the manufacturer offically admits that they actually aren't ..then yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Gypo wrote: »

Gearboxes yes, coolant systems not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Don't forget that 100,000 kilometers = 62,000 miles (approx) and 160,000 kilometers = 100,000 miles (approx)

Good stuff, with regards the turbo, I do a fairly big commute 180km per day. Towards the end of the trip I try and keep the revs down for the last couple of Km's would this extend the life of the turbo is there anything else I can do.

Is there any components on the turbo that need to be looked at as part of preventative maintenance.

I don't think you can do any maintenance per se on a turbo but I'm open to correction on that. Things I've always done to "mind" a turbo are...
    • Drive it easy from a cold start until the oil has warmed up.
    • Drive it easy for the last Km or so after a hard drive as you are doing.
    • Only shut the engine off from idle.
    • Be meticulous on oil changes, e.g. on time and correct oil (Make sure it meets manufacturers spec).

Is there any components on the turbo that need to be looked at as part of preventative maintenance.

Other than checking for (visible) oil leaks (also in the pipes to and from it), any other sort of "maintenance" usually shortens a turbo's life ...in other words ...do not touch.

thanks for the replies lads.

Sorry to drag this up again, we are seriously thinking of buying a UK high mileage car, its a fully loaded 06' 307 1.6HDi SW theres about 128k on the clock. Its a one owner, ex company car full service history and its motorway mileage, we'd be using it as the second car, and for trips to France etc

Going to give our current 05 focus back under half rule as we hit the half on the next payment and buy this with cash.

Anyone see any bugs with this.?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've a '06 Citroen C4 1.6HDI sitting in the drive that has 170,000km on it and hasn't missed a beat engine/turbo wise. Assuming thats miles not km you're only 30,000 ahead of that - something I expect the C4 to have done by December!

Its the same underpinnings (a Citroen ZX!) and the same engine, so I can't see you having any problems really. People in the UK are generally more meticulous at maintaining their cars than we are and "motorway mileage" is much more believable than it used to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

100k isn't much for modern cars

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its not but there is a mental threshold there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

bladespin wrote: »
    I brought one car up to 230k without any major problems (drive shaft went at 230). Should be fine, it's all about how you have looked after it.

I had a 1987 petrol Ford Sierra Estate that I bought 11 months old with 97,000 miles on it. It belonged to a commercial traveller & I bought it from a main dealer who originally supplied the car. It was the first year of the new plates 87 D XXX (everybody wanted one!!) and I picked it up for £5,300.....they were £13,995 new at the time......main dealer didn't want high mileage car on forecourt!

It was a 'minter' (plastic still on back seats, passenger seat & boot) with new tyres just fitted. I bought it as I reckoned that even if the gearbox or engine needed work on it in time that I'd still have come out okay.

Usually I keep a car for about five years but with this one I kept the car for 11 years and it never gave an ounce of trouble....it had 247,000 miles on it (including original 97,000) when I sold it.

It was serviced every 6,000 miles and all I did was put a battery in it, 4 timing chains, 3 sets of tyres and 4 clutch cables (£12 each).

It was one of the best, most practical cars I had (great at the time for kids buggys, bikes, home improvements etc.) and worked out at very cheap driving over the 11 year period.....sold it for £900.....so cost £4,400 (excluding servicing) for 11 years.......£440 per year!!!!!!!!!

People have a mental block over 100,000 miles on cars therefore you can pick up very, very cheap with mileage over 100k. On the minus side a dealer will give you nothing for 100k cars.

I would have no problem buying a 100k car as long as:

It was modern (only few years old)

miles were mostly clocked on long runs / motorways

regular, detailed servicing

body & interior immaculate

well cared for

get it checked out by competent mechanic

few thousand euros cheaper than same model/year with 40K on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

my son's 2.2 primera passed its nct last week
    Present mileage is 257k miles
    oil & filters change every 10 -12 k mls.
    brakes & tyres when needed
    replaced a top link & a bulb & got tracking done & wheels balanced
    the engine & gear box were never touched, with the exception of a sensor which failed at 210k clutch was done at 200k mls
    the car was previously mine hope my present skoda superb gives the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My old fella has a 03 Avensis 1.8 litre petrol approaching 195k miles on it. It was originally mine from new and I racked up most of that mileage before I gave it to him. I looked after the car and had it serviced every 12,000 miles. The car has never left either of us down in 6 years of ownership and the only expensive outside of regular servicing and consumables have been suspension bushings and control arms. So to sum up high mileage cars are good value as long as they have been looked after properly.

On a car with 128k miles you could potentialy be looking at some pricy bills soon for wear and tear parts that have come to the end of their life, i'd be looking for receipts if this work has been done or using it as a negotiation point off the asking price if it hasn't.

Advertisement