Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly plastered ceiling has a crack after a week

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I recently got my kitchen ceiling slabbed and plastered but a week later and a crack has appeared. The ceiling was stippled and had a crack so rather than have that removed and then skimmed went for further getting insulated slabs put up and then skimmed. It was apparently all done correctly (according to the plasterer) but I think something must be wrong to already have a crack appear. The crack is where there was a crack before so I think he should have not had the join in the same place given what he could see. The new crack is longer though?
    He mentioned settlement cracks over the phone but I don't buy into it. What can I tell him do to rectify it properly? I think he will need to change the way the slab is up to fix it but I am not sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Sometimes you can't plaster over the cracks - not where a structural fault is to blame . Ask a structural engineer to inspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Sometimes you can't plaster over the cracks - not where a structural fault is to blame . Ask a structural engineer to inspect

From my understanding if the slab had been placed over the existing crack rather than joined at the crack it would be less likely to crack in the same spot. From the way it is appearing I don't think he butted them together correctly in the brick like style. Looks like the joint is much bigger then one slab. It is a flat roof so there could be expansion from heat but not much structural weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

My new house has a few hairline cracks in the ceilings where the slabs meet and where there are unsupported corners (in the landing).

I started painting this week and you cannot see the cracks at all. Everyone that I spoke to has told me that these hairline cracks are normal.

You can't see mine when its painted - if you can still see yours after painting, there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It is more than hairline. The plasterer was down and started claiming it was the electrician putting in the lights but luckily I took pictures prior to them being put up and had to show him. Says it will be fixed on Monday. My concern is I am sure it will look fine after he does it but how do I make sure it won't happen in 6 months or a couple of years?

Advertisement