Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Garage

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Just at the start of the planning stage (i.e. be putting it into the LA in 2-3 weeks), but was just wondering about details of building a garage along with the house. If anyone could help here, I'd appreciate it.

A few of my friends who have built in the last number of years have all told me to build the garage first, so that you can safely store any materials that are needed for the main house build.

My questions is :

I've heard that you can build a garage within a certain size without planning permission. True or bogus?

If true, anyone know the maximum size and how much a sq ft would a garage be. Surely it's a lot less than a main build as its essentially just a foundation, walls and a roof?

If false, what would anyone recommend for an average size of a garage. Will be for storage only. Doubt cars would ever be stored in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

You can build the garage up to 25sq meters so long as you have not previously used this exemption on the property and also frontage line of garage must be at least in line with back line of main dwelling.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

secman wrote: »
    You can build the garage up to 25sq meters so long as you have not previously used this exemption on the property and also frontage line of garage must be at least in line with back line of main dwelling.

Secman

Cheers for that Secman. Following on from that, if I keep my garage to within the specifications you've mentioned above, do I need add it to the planning application at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,946 ✭✭✭✭muffler

technically speaking you can only build a garage up to 25 sq. metres (subject to certain conditions) to the rear of an EXISTING house. Tread carefully.

Ah the plot thickens.

Right, if thats true, then I will have to put it on the application, and to that end, I might as well increase the size (to a reason degree) of it seeing as I'm applying to the LA anyway.

This is one for the engineer as well so methinks.

secman wrote: »
    and also frontage line of garage must be at least in line with back line of main dwelling.
    Its actually the front wall of the house that is taken as the building line.

• Advertisement

Ah the plot thickens.

Right, if thats true, then I will have to put it on the application, and to that end, I might as well increase the size (to a reason degree) of it seeing as I'm applying to the LA anyway.

This is one for the engineer as well so methinks.
    Just a pity you didnt apply for it when you were making the application for the house. You would have got permission for both together and there would have been no additional planning fee for the garage - its only €34 to apply anyhow + cost of plans etc.

You are probably better off applying now for something bigger than the 25 sq. metres.

Just for the record the details of an exempted garage can be seen in Q7 of this document

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just a point to remember;

an exempted development can not be built with the main structure. It has to be built after the main structure to qualify as being exempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

And the 25sq m rule applies to the gross floor area.
    One to remember if you are putting a first floor within the garage - the 25sq m will then not apply to the building footprint.

muffler wrote: »
    Just a pity you didnt apply for it when you were making the application for the house. You would have got permission for both together and there would have been no additional planning fee for the garage - its only €34 to apply anyhow + cost of plans etc.

You are probably better off applying now for something bigger than the 25 sq. metres.

Just for the record the details of an exempted garage can be seen in Q7 of this document

Ah, but there's the good news, I haven't put the application in yet. I expect to be putting it in, in about 3 weeks time.

Time ro revise the plans.

Some great info here lads, Cheers. Keep it coming.

Advertisement