Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Do I have to tell IADT I will not be going back? I failed the summer exams and am now looking at going to another college(Yes I know I will have to pay a year of fees)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

You should always let them know. Just call student services and they'll talk you through the process.

Reason 1: Your transcript will show a clean withdrawal.
    Reason 2: Your place can be offered to someone else.

However, repeats aren't that scary.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 O'TOOLE79

thanks, what would happen if I didn't ring them? yeah thing is the course really wasn't for me, i liked IADT fine but I can't see me lasting the next 3 years there so good time to move.

O'TOOLE79 wrote: »
    thanks, what would happen if I didn't ring them? yeah thing is the course really wasn't for me, i liked IADT fine but I can't see me lasting the next 3 years there so good time to move.

They'd send out the heavies :D Nah nothing really. But it makes a load of paper work for the exams office and student services. Your name would pop up at exam boards and as a non-presentation and eventually you'd be sent a letter out to say that you were presumed to have withdrawn. There's nothing wrong with withdrawing from a course but it's good manners to let them know (you don't have to talk to your lecturers - it can be done through student services).

Did you fail you exams by much? I guess I'm just wondering that if you were close it might be worth sitting the repeats (even if you still leave). Then you wouldn't have failed a year totally (which might count against you if you were ever applying for a Masters or if you ever go into academia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

I dropped outta IADT, best decision I ever made! [:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

If were to have, not made a clean break last year when I dropped out but wish to re-apply next year to the same college but for a different course in a different school/department would it effect my chances?

When I say it wasn't a clean break I only mean that I didn't notify the college and did received the aforementioned letter but on doing so I sent back my student card, did the paper work and wrote an apology just stating it was a hard decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

It shouldn't make a difference if you're qualified for the course (CAO points and portfolio where applicable). Chances are you'll be paying fees for the years you were in the previous course for.

What Rhyme said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

Super Duper ;)
    Cheers

Advertisement