Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shall - is there a need for it?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

Shall Vs Will

Personally, I like it. Very British English. Almost never used by Irish people or Americans.

Is it needed? I supposed the fact that Americans feel they dont need it means that it is not essential.

I feel the need to define the difference between somthing definitely bound to happen ( the sun will rise - you cant say the sun shall rise) and something aspirational, generally a human aspiration ( I shall rise early).

We would say I will rise early, in the hope that people understood it be aspitartional, not a statement of fact.

Thoughts. Shall we abandon shall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

I like "shall" though I don't use it much myself - my two youngest children (12 and 13) do though. I ask them why they use it and they say it doesn't mean the same as "will": that if they "shall" do something it means they kind of want to do it; and if they "will" do something it means they have to do it, or that they do it automatically. So that ties in with what the OP says about the "shall" being aspirational.

The only time I use it is when I ask "shall we?" Which in my head means "d'you want (us) to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As a Brit, when I first came here, the use of "will" in place of "shall" confused me a bit, such as when people ask "Will I come round on Friday, then?", I'd feel like replying, "I don't know, will you?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If we didn't have the word "shall", we wouldn't be able to write protocols.

little geek joke, there

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

tbh wrote: »
    If we didn't have the word "shall", we wouldn't be able to write protocols.
    Or specifications. Have a friend from 'the mainland' who says shall in the correct context. Sounds all Lord Fauntleroy and gets a proper slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I would get a lot of queer looks if I used 'shall' out and around tbh.

'Will' is just fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement