Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried or should I be?

Options
  • 24-06-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have an 18 month old male lab and a 5 month old daughter!!

So far everything has been going perfectly from what I can see, the lab's routine has not changed a bit, he gets plenty of attention, exercise and we let him 'talk' to the baby and at this stage he doesn't really take much notice of her.

But ... a few weeks back my wife had baby and dog over at my mother's house and a 'stranger' visited. Of course women when they see a baby head straight over to have a look and apparently Sammy (the lab) made a bee-line across the room to get in between 'stranger' and baby (baby was on my wife's lap at the time.

He growled and growled until the stranger left the area of the baby. To me this was just the dog protecting the baby and probably a natural enough reaction .. but my mother and a few other people have been in my ear for the last while saying that we can never trust the dog, probably have to get rid of the dog etc ... .

I am sick of saying that it's not a problem and defending our dog .. but now it is really getting to me .. am I blind to a problem?

I want my daughter to have a dog to grow up with, like me, I had a lab from when I was an infant and loved every minute of it!!!

really what I am looking for is a little support and words of wisdom from the forum here to re-enforce my belief that I am not putting my child in danger !!

Over all the dog is a softie, since being neutered he doesn't even show any agression to dogs who are obviously being agressive to him !!

before anyone says .. I don't leave him with the baby unattended .. that would just be stupid!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

Labs are the best dogs to have around children. My sisters had three kids that have grown up around her lab. The oldest one is nine and not once has the dog "turned"...even when the kids have pulled his tail/ears, trod on him, slapped him, climbed over him....etc....

From what I can gather your guy was protecting his family. The fact that the baby was on your wifes lap and she was sitting may have been seen as a position of weakness from the dogs point of view. I think its a good sign that the dog was protective!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

TFP wrote: »
    Of course women when they see a baby head straight over to have a look ...

...usually accompanied by lots of shrieking and facial contortions :D

No wonder the dog took offence.

Next time round just tell your wife to get the dog out of the way (into another room) before letting strangers near the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

deisebabe wrote: »
    I think its a good sign that the dog was protective!

so do I, but try explain that to people who only see the dog the odd time, and usually when they do he is all excited to see different people !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

Honestly, my reaction would be the same as yours. I have 2 male labs and one in particular is quite protective in that he barks and sometimes growls when people come to the door etc.

You know your dog and as you say, it's not like you're leaving them alone together so I would ignore your Mum. As long as they're properly supervised (which yours sounds) I think dogs make brilliant company for children growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's great that the dog was protecting the baby, however, I think that your wife should be able to tell him to stop. Maybe some training on this would be wise.

Like a watch dog, they're great for barking at people coming to the door, but once the home owner allows the person in, the dog should stop. If the person makes the decision to allow the person into their home/near their baby, the dog needs to back off.

Of course he was doing what he thought best, and there is no way you need to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

It's great that the dog was protecting the baby, however, I think that your wife should be able to tell him to stop. Maybe some training on this would be wise.

he actually is trained quite well on basic obedience and does take commands well .. so that wouldn't worry me, maybe I need more dogs and less interfering old biddys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In that case you've nothing to worry about, just check him for being protective when you don't need it.

As for the old biddy comment, (I'll assume it wasn't directed at me :confused:) it's infuriating when someone interferes with how you bring your dog up, especially when they don't really have a clue what they are on about. I wonder if you could tell the people that you appreciate their concern, but you are not worried yourself, you have it sorted and you want to hear no more about it.

I know it sounds silly, but I get really upset if I think my dog is being potrayed as a brute when he's not. I tend to take it personally. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It might be an idea for your wife to open the door and welcome the guest in, while holding the baby. If she can! I know it could be awkward, but it might solve the problem.

in fairness it only happened the once in my mother's house, we have visitors all the time and never have any bother with him !!

I suppose, strange face, strange place .. just upset him !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Sounds like you have an excellent dog there who obviously See's the baby as part of its family and just wanted to protect the child.

However I'm sure I don't have to tell you that baby comes first, and if there is even a hint of aggression in that direction, the dog must go.

• Advertisement

looserock wrote: »
    Sounds like you have an excellent dog there who obviously See's the baby as part of its family and just wanted to protect the child.

However I'm sure I don't have to tell you that baby comes first, and if there is even a hint of aggression in that direction, the dog must go.

there hasn't been any agression towards the child at all ... when my wife came back from the hospital I waiting the car with the baby while she went in to the house and played with the dog for a few minutes in the back garden.

I went in with baby and put the car seat on the kitchen table. After a few minutes he came running back in and did his usual roll over looking for rubs. The baby then let out a cry, he jump up had a look and a sniff and went back looking for belly rubs!!

Over all we thought that he was ignoring the baby, until it became obvious that everytime my wife was breast feeding he lie down beside them, not interfering or looking for attention but just there!

It will be interesting when she starts crawling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

deisebabe wrote: »
    Labs are the best dogs to have around children. My sisters had three kids that have grown up around her lab. The oldest one is nine and not once has the dog "turned"...even when the kids have pulled his tail/ears, trod on him, slapped him, climbed over him....etc....

From what I can gather your guy was protecting his family. The fact that the baby was on your wifes lap and she was sitting may have been seen as a position of weakness from the dogs point of view. I think its a good sign that the dog was protective!

I agree 100% with this comment. Our dog is the same - sits there while kids sit on him, pull his coat, pulls his ear and tail... But changes when they throw his toy for him, he runs and gets it and brings it back, all the kids think he's great. Even when the kids are running and the dog is running with them our dog runs behind them as to not run into their legs, which is great cos there are no trips!!

As you can see, most people agree that the dog was just protecting his family, and i think thats wonderful, you have a very loving and loyal dog there!! as you said yourself you have had many visitors in your own home and there havent been any problems and the incident happened in your mothers house - the dog was a little vary of the situation and was on guard.

Advertisement