Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adopting kitten - need advice

Options
  • 24-06-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

hi, i'm adopting a kitten tomorrow, going shopping in the morning so need a good shopping list for all essentials for my new kitty. and recommendations for a good brand of kitten food...and if anyone has any irish web links for pet supplies that do next day delivery that would be awesome.

BTW before anyone says that i seem like i am adopting on a whim i want to let you know I am not, this has been arranged for weeks but i was abroad and flight was delayed by a few days so i have limited time to buy everything i need.

any advice anyone has on rearing a kitten would be much appreciated as im quite unfamiliar with cat behaviour, have only ever had experience with my parents dogs.

cheers in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

sadista wrote: »
    hi, i'm adopting a kitten tomorrow, going shopping in the morning so need a good shopping list for all essentials for my new kitty. and recommendations for a good brand of kitten food...and if anyone has any irish web links for pet supplies that do next day delivery that would be awesome.

BTW before anyone says that i seem like i am adopting on a whim i want to let you know I am not, this has been arranged for weeks but i was abroad and flight was delayed by a few days so i have limited time to buy everything i need.

any advice anyone has on rearing a kitten would be much appreciated as im quite unfamiliar with cat behaviour, have only ever had experience with my parents dogs.

cheers in advance!
    Get a psyhiatriac assessment. (for the cat)

I kept Pat indoors for a few weeks to get him used to the place. I just let him settle in at his own place and didnt bother him too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kitcatz

Hi sadista, good luck with your kitten tomorrow! :)
    A few things you could get... Whiskas do kitten food in pouches, and Purina do GoCat kitten dried food, Whiskas cat milk (I think it's only suitable for ckittens over 6 months though, not sure!), litter tray or box with cat litter (while he's indoors he'll use this as a toilet), some toys to keep him amused, maybe a catnip mouse.
    There's a really good website you can buy stuff from: zooplus.ie
    Cats are a bit different to dogs in some ways... with cats I think you need to earn their trust, he might be frightened at first in his new home, so it might take a bit of time and patience. As deepense said, you should probably keep him in for the first few weeks, get him used to his surroundings before letting him out as he might wander off and get lost.
    Enjoy your new kitten!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

thanks for advice guys. i checked out zooplus.ie they have really good stuff but delivery takes up to 6 days. i will probably order a few things off it but will have to head to a pet shop today to get the basics.
    Collecting him this evening! im so excited!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

sadista wrote: »
    thanks for advice guys. i checked out zooplus.ie they have really good stuff but delivery takes up to 6 days. i will probably order a few things off it but will have to head to a pet shop today to get the basics.
    Collecting him this evening! im so excited!:D

You'd have to double check to be sure, and it may have changed now that rates have slipped but it was cheaper for a while to order from the zooplus.co.uk site. Its all coming from Germany so no difference....just might save a few pennies or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Collar & tag

Litter box & litter & litter scoop

bowls

bed

toys (little balls with bells, anything feathery, don't bother spending loads though, they love boxes & toilet rolls too, also anything crinkly like plastic)

food (I think dry is better, royal canin is not too expensive - you can get it in your vet)

Find your local vet & have his details there in case you need them.

scratching post

camera at hand at all times :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement