Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning!

Options
  • 24-06-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Just a warning to all dog owners out there today. We had a full-blown case of heatstroke in my clinic today.
    When he was presented, he had a temperature of almost 42C, or over 107F, could barely breathe and was collapsed on the table. We managed to get his temperature down to normal and stabilise him, but 5 more minutes and it might have been a different story. He ok now, but not out of the woods just yet.
    Just please please be careful not to overexert your dog on days like this. There is a light breeze out so it is actually deceptively hot. Make sure that he/she can stay in a cool shady room for the afternoon or provide shade in the garden outside. And lots and lots of fresh water! Take extra care if the dog is a heavy coated breed, elderly, very young or overweight as they are unable to thermo-regulate as efficiently as younger, fitter animals.
    We don't like to see this happening, it was extremely stressful for both the owner and the poor dog, don't let it happen to you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Great post! Same goes for tranporting dogs in this weather. Please be very very careful and no leaving them in the car. I saw a beautiful red setter die from heatstroke after being transported incorrectly. Terrible waste of a previously healthy dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Plenty of fresh water, and as one person suggested before, ICE CUBES!

Also I hope no-one leaves their dog in the car :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I dont understand people who take their dogs out in heat like this?? do they not realise that if its hot for us its even hotter for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Too true. Sadly all to often we hear of people doing stupid things when they should know better.

People might think its nice to go out walking in this weather with their doggy, when in fact its not so nice for the dogs.
    I waited until 9pm last night to take my fella out as he would die in this heat, its not fair so please be very careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

andreac wrote: »
    I dont understand people who take their dogs out in heat like this?? do they not realise that if its hot for us its even hotter for them?

Fair enough, but if you have dogs like ours who refuse to crap in their own garden you can't win with them. They whinge until brought out but I do bring water with me and keep it short for them.

Theres a big diff in a quick walk to poop or wee than a full on walk in the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

That's fair enough, but a trot round the block is very different to a long walk or a tennis-ball session! And most dogs would probably be able to cope with a decent walk today. But unfortunately, some won't, and that when it becomes dangerous.
    Forgot to mention the brachycephalics too: boxers, bulldogs and pugs are especially prone to over-heating because of their inability to pant properly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I went to Tesco yesterday, they were selling 3 chickens for €12, I bought them and boiled one last night. When it was cooled, I put the stock into ice cube bags and froze them - altogether I made 72 ice cubes. Now okay, I do have a lot of dogs, but still, that will last me a few days. The stock is healthy, as I haven't added any salt etc, I wouldn't recommend doing it with stock cubes, they aren't great for dogs. All of mine have had 3 ice cubes today so far, and of course they're going to have chicken with their dinner tonight - win, win as far as they're concerned.

I also have some paddling pools, one in the backyard for my own dogs, one in the big exercise field and one in the kennel field, great for the dogs to go and have a paddle or a lie down in. For the dogs in the kennels they have bowls - just ordinary washing up bowls, with cold water in, and I put chopped up carrots and apples into them, they love to fish them out, it keeps them cool and occupied at the same time. Apple pips are poisonous to dogs though, so remove them before giving the dogs the apples. There are a lot of great tips out there for keeping your dogs cool. The main thing really though is not to exercise them in the hottest part of the day. If you do have to go out with them, there are cooler jackets that you can get, or cooler bandanas which help to keep them cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

ISDW wrote: »
    I went to Tesco yesterday, they were selling 3 chickens for €12, I bought them and boiled one last night. When it was cooled, I put the stock into ice cube bags and froze them - altogether I made 72 ice cubes. Now okay, I do have a lot of dogs, but still, that will last me a few days. The stock is healthy, as I haven't added any salt etc, I wouldn't recommend doing it with stock cubes, they aren't great for dogs. All of mine have had 3 ice cubes today so far, and of course they're going to have chicken with their dinner tonight - win, win as far as they're concerned.

CLASS IDEA WITH THE STOCK ICE CUBES ..NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

The amount of people who walk their dogs in high heat,to see th dogs suffering so is heart breaking.
    We walked this morning before 8 and we will walk again probably half eight or nine.
    There is no way I would expect the dog to be able for heavy walking during the day.
    I like the idea of making fresh stock ice cubes for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I brought my dog to the lake at the end of the estate. And before anyone starts giving out (as alot of people on here love to preach), its 5 minutes walk away!

She was straight into the water and had a great swim around in it lapping up the water as she swam!

Its that hot she was dry again by the time we got home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lemlin wrote: »
    I brought my dog to the lake at the end of the estate. And before anyone starts giving out (as alot of people on here love to preach), its 5 minutes walk away!

She was straight into the water and had a great swim around in it lapping up the water as she swam!

Its that hot she was dry again by the time we got home!

Thats a great way to exercise your dog on a hot day, I'm certainly not going to preach.

Saw something on another forum today, someone makes big ice cubes by filling a lunchbox with water, puts a freezer bag inside it (makes it easier to get the ice cube out) but then also puts chopped up hot dogs and chicken in it and freezes it. The dog is then kept occupied by trying to get the treats out of the block of ice, but is also kept cool. I am going to try and find 20 cheap lunch boxes now at the weekend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

That's a great idea with the chicken in the ice-cubes. I've tried the ice cube thing before but they usually get bored half way through and leave a slobbery spitty lump of ice melting in the middle of the kitchen.
    And if I had a lake nearby, I would definitely take mine to it today! Once they have a way to keep cool, bring it on! They'd love it! Although I think after today, I'd be getting in too...!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    That's a great idea with the chicken in the ice-cubes. I've tried the ice cube thing before but they usually get bored half way through and leave a slobbery spitty lump of ice melting in the middle of the kitchen.
    And if I had a lake nearby, I would definitely take mine to it today! Once they have a way to keep cool, bring it on! They'd love it! Although I think after today, I'd be getting in too...!

It's great to have the lake nearby alright. She's nine months now and she wasn't that keen on water when she was younger but once she reached about eight months she flies into the water no bother.

Advertisement