Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Philanthropist [US]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice one... I've added to my watch list. First episode on NBC tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

James Purefoy will have me watching :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Me too. Any news on when it's showing this part of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Months away, most likely (unless the buzz is absolutely massive).

Took sky nearly 5 years to start House (one of the biggest shows on US Network TV)
    I know it was on Hallmark or some channel like that, but it doesn't count. :)

Been looking forward to this one for awhile. It's from Tom Fontana who gave us Oz. I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain that the idea came from an article Fontana read about Bobby Sager.

While I'm looking forward to this show I can't help but feel that we'll be lucky to get a full season. Filming on location across the world is going to make the show very expensive and unless it's a constant ratings winner it may not last very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Maybe I should have read the LA Times preview before kicking off this thread. They are way more downbeat about it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/06/ready-for-the-philanthropist.html

Metacritic scores aren't encouraging either

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/philanthropist

Ah well :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Saw it, pilot looked expensive to make, it was kinda ok....but will be it a "who will i help" this week kinda show?, undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It was ok, but nothing stellar - can't see it surviving in the winter season if it was on then. It was a bit slow paced in places and I find the main character kind of unlikeable ("I'm no hero"... but well, actually I am, in his account of the whole story...). It's only scheduled for 8 episodes and given that it probably is very expensive to produce, it's really doubtful we'll see another season...

Just after watching the first episode and really enjoying it. It's very different from what I expect from Tom Fontana and while I don't see it lasting especially considering the budget I hope that it does. The upcoming release of Solomon Kane and the so far positive reviews could make Purefoy a big name leading people to give the show a chance.

Advertisement