Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother's wardrobe

Options
  • 24-06-2009 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

My mother is 50 and cannot buy herself clothes. She doesn't know where to start or what suits her. I looked up clothing sites for her and even did the survey on Gok Wan's page. Where do mother's shop?? I'm not ageist but I go to topshop, new look etc and she can't seem to find stuff in there, on the other hand there are shops that she is too young for! Anyone?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My mother is 50 and was the same as your mother for a long time. My sister did a wardrobe clear out with her. She held up an item of clothing and if my mother even hesitated to say keep it for a second it was thrown out. She was left with so little that she had to get serious about shopping.

She buys in places like A|Wear, Marks and Spencers, Dunnes and Next. Oh and she loves Zara. Marks and Spencers are great because the different collections cater for different styles and the clothes aren't too young but aren't frumpy. 50 isn't old at all but sometimes I think it can be like being a tween again, where the younger clothes are too young, the older clothes are too old, and there's not a huge amount left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

my mam is in her late 40s :D and she loves zara and next cos next do trendy clothes yet they are not too tight or revealing you know they are just nice. they are the main two places she would shop in especially now with the sales she got a few dresses and tops in zara and she gets trousers and suits in next ... hope it helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lovetoshop

fifomania wrote: »
    My mother is 50 and cannot buy herself clothes. She doesn't know where to start or what suits her. I looked up clothing sites for her and even did the survey on Gok Wan's page. Where do mother's shop?? I'm not ageist but I go to topshop, new look etc and she can't seem to find stuff in there, on the other hand there are shops that she is too young for! Anyone?? :)
    Next have a good variety wallis and debenhams are also classy not too young or old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stylist

hi there, now if i knew your mother's shape a little better i could help a lot.

as a 45yr old i know exactly what you're talking about but different shops cater not just for age but also shape. it's because you're young you haven't noticed this! you can wear most clothes but you mum and i have to limit
    ourselves to shops that cater for our shapes e.g. Zara is great if you're no bigger than a size 12 - 14max and you're small frame. bust cup size no bigger than a c and of course narrow hips and thighs!!
    i was in Marks and Spencer yesterday and though they cater for most shapes, there's an awful lot of clothes that will make you mum not just look 50 but closer to 60 and worst of all feel it too! however there were some lovely pieces in the Limited Collection and Autograph too. great basics in the jeans section and linens (trousers etc) Remember though no side pockets in anything if she's in anyway 'hippy' like me!!

as you see shops differ but Next is a good one too. go by her shape and her colouring. what ever part of her body (usually her top or bottom half) needs
    a little camaflage, spend more money on that part as in nicely tailored pieces. better for her to have 2 well cut trousers and skirts than 4 or 5 of each cheaper ones that will never look quite as good or last half as long.
    now i could go on and on but hope some of it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mom is a very stylish 50 year old (not that I'm biased or anything :rolleyes:) and she shops in Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Marks and Spencer, Oasis, Dunnes, and the odd thing in Penneys or New Look, normally that'd just be a cute cardigan or top though. She gets all her fantastic jeans, trousers and lovely tops in the first four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My mam is also 50, and she says the key to finding decent clothes for her age group is look everywhere (Or get your children to shop for you :pac:).

The majority of her stuff is from Dunnes and Marks and Spencer. Debenhams can be good too. She gets a lot of pieces in other shops. Your mam's shape is important to know as well.

Also being 50 seems awful fashion wise, you're kind of stuck in no-man's land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Thanks for those replies everyone.
    Mum won't even come up to Dublin to go to any of these shops! She gets tired and loses interest quickly. And if she sees something she likes she'll put it back and say "i'll come back to it later" and doesn't. It's very annoying when you have to convince her 40 times that something looks well & she doesn't even buy it! :rolleyes: She is a 10 - 12 and is well proportioned with a good figure that she hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thanks for those replies everyone.
    Mum won't even come up to Dublin to go to any of these shops! She gets tired and loses interest quickly. And if she sees something she likes she'll put it back and say "i'll come back to it later" and doesn't. It's very annoying when you have to convince her 40 times that something looks well & she doesn't even buy it! :rolleyes: She is a 10 - 12 and is well proportioned with a good figure that she hides.

She seems to have no interest whatsoever. I would do a wardrobe clear out like I suggested in my last post so that she has no choice but to shop or I would leave her be. If she's not a willing participant then it's not really worth the hassle. Or you could buy for her and hope for the best.

Advertisement