Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business cards

Options
  • 24-06-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Does anyone think they are useful or a waste of money?

I find that I get new business cards and they stay in a pile on my desk. I meet a lot of people too - its just I find that sending an email with my contact detail is a much easier way to make sure someone has my details.

Anyone think they are still useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

depends on the line of work your in i guess, i wrk in finance and would be going on a lot of site visits and used to alwasy get business cards - which would also sit on my desk - as i knew all their contact details aleady having been dealing with them a number of years, but if its for likes of tradesmen putting them in doors then i think its good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

I would agree with you. It is much easier and brings in more business when giving your contact details over email. But I do think Business cards are very handy when your away from your computer and can be very professional with eye catching cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

I am just looking now at a pile of (other peoples) business cards on my desk and I cant remember when, if ever, I used them to get contact details. A friend of mine is in the process of getting some printed up. He is a small company with little funds - I was asking him if he needed them when you think about the cost to print & design - is there a return? Would you be better off putting €100 into Google adwords instead.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Depends on his goals really, It can be very embarrassing to go to a meeting and be asked for one and not have any. On the other side if he's starting an online business and has no really need to meet customers or suppliers face to face then obviously its not necessary.

When it comes to business cards the one rookie mistake to avoid is getting 5,000 cards done up cause its only 50% more than 100. Details change so buy small and as required.

Depends on his goals really, It can be very embarrassing to go to a meeting and be asked for one and not have any. On the other side if he's starting an online business and has no really need to meet customers or suppliers face to face then obviously its not necessary.

When it comes to business cards the one rookie mistake to avoid is getting 5,000 cards done up cause its only 50% more than 100. Details change so buy small and as required.

I dont know - even if you are not online are we not in the age of 'print is dead'. I have business cards but never use them - even when I have them with me I will always just send on my contact detail by email. You are 100% right on the quantity. Buy small.... you will probably never run out :)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I am in online business and i tend to use them a lot. So i guess it depends really on how you do business, i like to have peoples business cards on file for reference so i usually ask for them - If they don't have any then i really wonder if they have their house in order same as if they didn't have a proper email account.

Im online too. Maybe I just have an allergic reaction to things on print then. I just think business cards are a bit wasteful. I do see why people like to have them - but is that not just like newspapers before online classifieds? They have been with us for years so we kept following the tradition.

If I use Warren Buffets comment about the idea of starting the first newspaper up as a new business in today's world.

I wonder if the business card was never 'invented' and with electronic communication as easy as it is today - would we still think its a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

There's nothing like impressing a potential client with a business card. You can't really have the same effect with an email.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    There's nothing like impressing a potential client with a business card. You can't really have the same effect with an email.

Got to say - I have never been impressed by a business card. I might like the paper or design... but it wont win business.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Ok, if your business can't back it up a card won't save you, but it can be a good first impression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A huge amount of my business comes from current customers passing my cards on to friends and business colleagues. I always give at least two to everyone.

Best money I ever spent without a doubt.

Pixelcraft - ok - agreed, a nice card does make a nice impression

Hagar - Perhaps that's good quality work and good quality references from your current customers ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

ull get them done up cheap enough on vista print - worth looking into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    Hagar - Perhaps that's good quality work and good quality references from your current customers ..
    Thanks. I'd like to think so. :)

Having a card to pass on though is handy. There's still a lot of people out there who are more happy handling a card instead of the electronic alternatives. Particularly so if your business is used by "older" customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Business cards are a critical part of 'referrals' ... the very best type of person that you can get. Think of it as a business tool.
    I think it's easy to fall into the 'electronic mode' all too quickly. To make an impression, you need to meet people. People buy from people.

If you have a very happy customer ... what could more easier for them but to simply hand over a card to their neighbouring business and say... give this guy a ring, he's really good....he called round to me with a quote and really made an impression....oh and by the way he did a good job as well.

You can check out a business on a website fair enough, but you can't check out the person who's doing the work as easily.

Advertisement