Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cateye strada wireless

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I hit the tarmac last night and broke my computer. I'm thinking of going wireless, has anyone used the strada ? or what would you reccomend.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I have been using one for over a year now, and i am pleased with it. I really like the way the entire unit it a "big button" rather than having small button(s), easy to press & scroll through the various display.

My only requirements are distance, avg speed and current speed, so the strada is good for me.

One thing which is not good: i have had to adjust the clock on it (as it had shifted by approx 20min in 1 year) and the only way i found to do that was to reset & reprogram the unit, hence loosing my total mileage count. More an inconvenience than a big deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I think wireless is more hassle than it is worth and would stick with wired. Less batteries, less to go wrong, no possibility of interference and erroneous readings, etc. I'd make an exception if you were getting something with a HRM as then there has to be a wireless component anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Another vote for wired.
    I have a wired cateye computer i got about 7 years ago in argos for about 15e. It still works fine, maybe replaced the battery once.
    I hads a wireless computer on a mtb (needed for fork travel) and it stopped after ahwile.
    Anyway, the the strada, you can adjust the clock, and also, input any amount for the odomoter. I stood on mine once and reset it, so it has handy to be able to feed the old distance back into it.
    Go wired, less hassle once it's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Thanks all, went for the Strada wired in the end. I'll see how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Thinking of this Cateye Strada Cadence for 41e,should do the job for a <50 computer,does anyone have one?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28224

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

hawkwing wrote: »
    Thinking of this Cateye Strada Cadence for 41e,should do the job for a <50 computer,does anyone have one?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28224

I got this one and find it to be very good. I bought it in my LBS as it seems to be a bit tricky to fit. No buttons to press it works on a rocking motion which is very handy. Well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Have 2 of them, one on the old bike (which took a hopper, button doesn't work anymore) and the current one on the road bike. Bar going fancy and getting hrm or power can't beat it in my opinion. Tempted by the strada wireless but happy out with wired one at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i've got it, have yet to install it but it looks great though, think mine was 25 euro from pro bike kit

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

I've had a Cateye HR200DW for about 3 years and would recommend it.
    No issues with battery life and I like not having the extra wires. I had 2 wired puters before and in both cases the wired sensors stopped working.
    No issue with interference while on the bike eg. from overhead wires. The only interference issue I've had is when I bring it into close proximity to my laptop (time elapsed suddenly increases by a few hours thus rendering most other readings useless , which makes keeping my training spreadsheet a little more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

are the sensors waterproof much? i have to know is it best to go for wired or wireless system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My wired one was quite happy in pretty much 6 hours of pissing rain and road spray today. The sensors are sealed plastic units and should have no issues. The wireless sensor OTOH has a battery compartment which could be susceptible to water...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I have one and it'd worked flawlessly even in terrible weather.

Only changed because I wanted Heart Rate and Cadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

blorg wrote: »
    Personally I think wireless is more hassle than it is worth and would stick with wired. Less batteries, less to go wrong, no possibility of interference and erroneous readings, etc. I'd make an exception if you were getting something with a HRM as then there has to be a wireless component anyway.

I use Polar 200, which is a wireless system for the CAD and HRM, I dont use the HRM (It frightens me.lol), but on a spin recently, I was getting my colleagues HR readings throughout the whole spin, as we were cycling abreast for most of it,he is recovering from illness, so it was a good gauge for me to slow up when necessary. Not sure what the readings would have been like had I been wearing my own.I know they are supposed to have unique frequencies.
    Have noticed inteference blackspots over time also for wireless, there is one halfway up the road from Glen of the Downs to Kilpeddar, also one halfway up the Main Street in Bray,the latter also affects FM radio signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

look ive never crashed, nor fallen, so i dont know how to break my cat, bu8t i will say it has served me well, feck the wires go wireless man

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

blorg wrote: »

ive yet to come across any probs with mine, its over a year old and no bat changes, and towards the interference, mehh never have that prob. fact xx lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

ive seen mixed reviews guess depends how I would use it!, plus i like the fact the wireless version comes in other colours :)

Advertisement