Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Release Date

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Are they mad? With the amount of downloading of TV shows why are they releasing DVD of shows on this side of the Atlantic 4 - 6 months after they finish on the TV. I was getting set to rent or buy 24, Lost and Terminator only to see that they aren't released until the autumn/winter.

Combat piracy????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

The thing I hate about these Lost, Prison Break DVD's are THE COST.

It cost's like €50 for part 1 of a season. So who the hell would you spend €100 on a season? That would be spending about €400 on the whole complete 4 series of a show. Unbelievable really. Is it any wonder people download.

If you want to buy TV shows get the R1 version as it's far cheaper. I preordered Stargate Atlantis Season 5 for 30 dollars awhile back on amazon.com wheras as it's 43 pound on the uk site.

The complete verions of most series is cheaper from America than part one of a season over here. Also anyone who pays 50 euro for 12 episodes of television is a fool, I picked up season 2 of Lost for 30 euros when it came out while others were paying more than that for half a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

If you want to buy TV shows get the R1 version as it's far cheaper.

+1 - and in certain cases, we get screwed on more than just the cost. For example, the R1 version of Battlestar Galactica Season 1, includes the miniseries that launched the show. But with the R2 version, it doesn't and they expect you to buy the miniseries separately! :mad: This happens a lot with extras/bonus features too on the various sets...

Don't forget that they also get heaps of bonus features while all R2 buyers get are subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Let's not forget when they don't bother to release shows over here. I am looking at you Lionsgate. Imagine having the first three seasons of Weeds region free on Bluray and then region locking the fourth with no sign of a release over here. ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

i paid only 40 euros for my 1st season og last on blu-ray and 35 for 2nd one there not that carzy as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If you want to buy TV shows get the R1 version as it's far cheaper. I preordered Stargate Atlantis Season 5 for 30 dollars awhile back on amazon.com wheras as it's 43 pound on the uk site.

The complete verions of most series is cheaper from America than part one of a season over here. Also anyone who pays 50 euro for 12 episodes of television is a fool, I picked up season 2 of Lost for 30 euros when it came out while others were paying more than that for half a season.

How long does deleivery take and are there any problems after you buy?

Elmo wrote: »

With amazon.com delivery usually takes about a week, they'll quote you a delivery date of about a month but the longest I've ever waited was a week. Any problems which you might encounter such as misplaced item or broken disc is easily sorted as their customer care is very good. I've been buying online for nearly a decade using a host of sites from England to China to Australia and never had a problem.

If your dvd player isn't multi region then a quick google search should fix that for you.

If your dvd player isn't multi region then a quick google search should fix that for you.

It is, off to buy them now :) I would feel guilty if I got them from someone that got them illegally :( I blame catholism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Let's not forget when they don't bother to release shows over here. I am looking at you Lionsgate. Imagine having the first three seasons of Weeds region free on Bluray and then region locking the fourth with no sign of a release over here. ****.

I'm still in shock that they havent bothered their arses releasing Season 4, but that might be because no station has aired it over here yet.
    Elmo wrote: »

The only other problem with ordering DVDs from the States, apart from the ones that Darko mentioned, is that now the Revenue are VERY diligent about catching overseas (outside the UK) online orders. Depending on the cost of your purchases, the Revenue intercept your order, smack on another 12 euro or so in VAT charges, then An Post will add another 6 euro for "admin fees", and wont hand over the package till you pay for it at the door.

One time I ordered something through DHL (or similar) and they paid the VAT charges "on my behalf", then invoiced me for the VAT charges separately!
    Even though it still works out cheaper than buying stuff from UK equivalent websites, it still irks me that the days of super-cheap import dvds is over :(

• Advertisement

Don't mind paying the VAT TBH. But I checked out amazon.com and LOST and Sarah Connors aren't released until the "fall" :( 24 is out now not sure if I will buy it it hasn't been a great season.

If they are serious about stopping piracy etc they would release the shows a month after airing on the TV, perhaps the TV executives know that they will get people to watch the show each week if they get the DVD release stalled until the release the new season of the show for broadcast :(

They should also reduce the price of TV Serials here in Ireland.

Advertisement