Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

septic tank problem

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Advice needed.
    I have recently discovered that the builder of our house plumbed all the surface and rainwater into the septic tank. The house is 9 years old but i am sure this was a breach of building regulations even then. I have quizzed the builder over this, he gets defensive and insists there is a soak away area, but close inspection of the rain water traps and waste plumbing prove this wrong.
    We did not emply the builder to build the house, we actually bought the house subsequently. Naturally when it rains the tank quickly overflows and any surface water takes days to drain away.

Has anybody experienced this kind of problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

SR6 1991 states that clean run-off water should be directed away from the septic tank & percolation area.

If you have a problem with your system you should engage a good local AT to check it out or speak to Sanitary Services department in the LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'd imagine you'd have little or no comeback after 9 years from the builder.

Depending on how many different connections the surface water pipes are made into the foul system, it mightn't be a huge job.

You should get it sorted as soon as possible though as its probably doing havoc to the treatment of the foul water and it's probably a health and environmental risk when it overflows.

As Tom says, you need to get a professional to look at it and advise first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wonder why the previous owners never did anything about it. I mean, as Jimbo said, I don't think you have any comeback with the builder, but surely it shouldn't have taken long for the previous owners to suss something wasn't right.

You definitely need an expert to have a look. But rainwater should never be directed into the septic tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mickthemod

Thanks all.

I think i will seek a professional assesment, i had the tank emptied last week and its full allready, and this is the dry season.
    I noticed a pipe under the outflow pipe which seems to flow back into the tank, the water looks clean ?
    This pipe is not running in the direction of the house rather away to next door. Last summer i had a problem with a lot of water seeping through the higher ground from my neighbour, it cleared up a few days after i complained.
    All very suspicious.

I will update with my findings hopefully.

Advertisement