Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland on BBC today

Options
  • 23-06-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

There was a discussion on the topic "does democracy need to be secular to work?" on BBC radio this evening.

Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland was on; here are a few extracts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmeJ50Yb_eI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

If by secular, it means free of the influence of unelected religious institutions, then yes.

However, a society made up of people from a religion that is not subject to an unelected institution could surely be democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mkaobrih

[FONT=&quot]What is it with you boards.ie people – someone does something positive - anything positive - and you **** all over it.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Mods I'm equally confused by the last two posts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Me too.

I couldn't understand what Hurin was on about, so I ignored it, and I have no idea what's got our new friend's goat up.

Maybe one or both will be elaborated on. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Me too.

I couldn't understand what Hurin was on about

I thought my post was clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Húrin wrote: »

It made sense to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Húrin wrote: »

I know understand it after 5 reads and a whiteboard session :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I never understand what he is on about. He is A&A's version of Karl Pilkington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

adamd164 wrote: »
    There was a discussion on the topic "does democracy need to be secular to work?" on BBC radio this evening.
    And does it?

Atheism is a lack of something, therefore needs nothing to work. What is the term Atheism anyway? I know the literal meaning is "without theism" but its used in a lot more than that. It's more of an insult these days if you ask me. I think most people think it means anti-theism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

20goto10 wrote: »
    And does it?

Atheism is a lack of something, therefore needs nothing to work. What is the term Atheism anyway? I know the literal meaning is "without theism" but its used in a lot more than that. It's more of an insult these days if you ask me. I think most people think it means anti-theism.

I think the venacular is: someone who has thought about it and really doesn't believe. Not just a non - practising, I don't know but goes to mass at christmas and says the odd prayer to something outthere head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

He is A&A's version of Karl Pilkington.

Then he's a legend :D

togster wrote: »
    I never understand what he is on about. He is A&A's version of Karl Pilkington.
    Then he's a legend :D

Thanks!

Advertisement