Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal suitable for Apartment

Options
  • 23-06-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

Well the missus is hell bent on getting some sort of animal for the apartment.
    Trouble is i'm completely adverse to animals. I mean im not mean to them or anything i just prefer to have nothing to do with them.

So the compromise is that we get a pet, but it has to be a quiet little thing (neighbours to think of besides me) and no rodents or lizards etc or anything nocturnal and it cant be a dog or cat because we are gone at weekends.

It seems a bird is the only option but they chirp etc and we gone over 12 hours each day so it would be mean i think.

Any suggestions?:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funlovintapir

Just don't get a pet. You shouldn't really have one if you're out for that much time anyway, plus one of you isn't bothered, it's selfish. Only thing you could have really is a goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure it's a good idea to get a pet unless you are both in to the idea, because what happens if she's sick or has to go away if you don't like them would you check them over, clean them out etc.

If you are willing to give a hand if she has to go away or whatever then a pair of guinea pigs could be an option although 12 hours a day is too long really for any animal unless some fish perhaps.

Whichever animal that's chosen do plenty of research first even fish can be complicated.

Guinea pigs are relatively quiet, you hear the odd rustle and squeek but not very noisy except in the morning demanding their veggies or when they hear the fridge opening. Not noisy enough to annoy neighbours though and are relatively quiet at night esp. you won't hear them eating and rustling about at night if they are in the sitting room for example.

They need more care than people think as well though but there is lots of info. out there for guinea pigs.

They don't smell unless you don't clean them out using hay and newspaper as bedding and changing every day or every second day, any animal will have a smell anyway. Takes up room in the bin though but can also be put into a compost bin.

If getting a bonded pair they will be very happy left alone with each other, but will also get used to being handled and sit on your lap in the evening for a cuddle.

They can win even the most non animal person around they aren't rodenty more like fat little cuddle puppies that you don't need to take for walks outside. They also make great apartment pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

A fishtank! You don't have to take them for walks, they don't sh*t on the floor, cheap to feed and quiet. Simples! ;)

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

Not sure it's a good idea to get a pet unless you are both in to the idea, because what happens if she's sick or has to go away if you don't like them would you check them over, clean them out etc.

If you are willing to give a hand if she has to go away or whatever then a pair of guinea pigs could be an option although 12 hours a day is too long really for any animal unless some fish perhaps.

Whichever animal that's chosen do plenty of research first even fish can be complicated.

Guinea pigs are relatively quiet, you hear the odd rustle and squeek but not very noisy except in the morning demanding their veggies or when they hear the fridge opening. Not noisy enough to annoy neighbours though and are relatively quiet at night esp. you won't hear them eating and rustling about at night if they are in the sitting room for example.

They need more care than people think as well though but there is lots of info. out there for guinea pigs.

They don't smell unless you don't clean them out using hay and newspaper as bedding and changing every day or every second day, any animal will have a smell anyway. Takes up room in the bin though but can also be put into a compost bin.

If getting a bonded pair they will be very happy left alone with each other, but will also get used to being handled and sit on your lap in the evening for a cuddle.

They can win even the most non animal person around they aren't rodenty more like fat little cuddle puppies that you don't need to take for walks outside. They also make great apartment pets.

Guinea Pigs are great pets, I have two in my apartment, but if you are away at weekends I wouldn't recommend getting them, as they have to be fed twice a day, and I don't think it would be fair on them.

if you must get a pet, i'd say a goldfish aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

I'm a big fan of dwarf hamsters (although I know you said no rodents). The biggest expense involved is the cage (about 40-60 euro for a good one) and after that they're cheap as chips! They're quiet and very easy to keep (make sure they've fresh food and water each day and clean their cage once a week). They prefer not to be handled as much as the bigger hamsters but because they're gorgeous, fun little things to watch, it more than makes up for it (our dwarf, Harry, used to get up at the bars and BEG (yes seriously) anytime someone was making even so much as a sandwich in the kitchen. And if the cage is cleaned once a week then there is no smell. Even my animal averse smelling mother was able to tolerate Harry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement