Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu Watch House Cross

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Just for anyone that frequents the place:

Don't know how much truth there is to this but i did hear it from a trusted source, that it's closing down in 2 weeks because they were unable to find a buyer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It will be a shame for the area and the surrounding business's.

Yet, the area is getting smaller and they were able to survive long enough without a supermarket just down the road so Im sure they will survive if it does close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lord Henry

Not surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

The stupid entrance and exit hasnt helped but it will still be a loss to the area. I heard that Aldi ir Lidl were supposed to be moving in there, not sur eof how accurate that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

They'd want to be mad to take over that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

RonMexico wrote: »
    They'd want to be mad to take over that place.

Why? I frequent the place and it's not all that bad.

Anywho , the story is on the front page of todays Limerick leader

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

an aldi or lidl would make a bomb there. Money i mean, not an incendiary device.

If Supervalu can't get it to work out there what makes you think any other store would? Wrong location.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

If Supervalu can't get it to work out there what makes you think any other store would? Wrong location.

Aldi or Lidl would have much more to invest and would have a better customer base at this stage as well, I could see one of them making a go of the shop.

Yeah they would want to invest in better security for a start. Or better, keep their money and not waste it on a failed business. In this economic climate they'd want to be nuts to take over a problem like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Yeah they would want to invest in better security for a start. Or better, keep their money and not waste it on a failed business. In this economic climate they'd want to be nuts to take over a problem like that.

Aren't Aldi and Lidl two chains that have seen big increases in their sales as a result of this economic climate

Roadend wrote: »
    Aren't Aldi and Lidl two chains that have seen big increases in their sales as a result of this economic climate

I can tell you from speaking to retail owners that they are only really interested in stocking stuff which is on special offer. Customers are the mind set to buy anything that is discounted so I would have to imagine that if you position yourself as a discount supermarket then the customers will flock to buy your goods.

Aldi and Lidl will do well anywhere because of their mass appeal. Supervalu as a store was always very expensive because the group Musgrave is very expensive anyway and the prices only get passed to the customers.

You may find offers every so often but by in large they do not have as many offers because they deal in a central warehouse. Dunnes Stores for example have more offers because each store manager deals with each sales rep individually.

Tesco has the same problem as Supervalu in that sense which is why there would be more offers in Dunnes as opposed to the others.

People have argued before that Aldi Lidl would not take on a pre-existing store because they like everything about their location to be identical to the next, i.e car park paving slabs, store exterior etc but those claims can be easily blown out of the water when you think of Dame St in Dublin and Galway Shopping Centre.

I think people are grasping at straws here talking about Aldi or Lidl. There are too many problems with that store. The design and layout is all wrong for a start and not just in terms of Aldi or Lidl wanting it. Secondly the location is a disaster - it brings with it one gigantic headache in terms of security. I've talked to people who worked there and shopped there and delivered there. All had horror stories about hassle. Stock was walking out the door on a daily basis even with security. Of course plenty of decent people shopped there too but they don't make up for the trouble the others bring.

I also don't think that Aldi or Lidl stock the kind of stuff that would appeal to the majority from the locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

:eek: i actually dont believe this! i was going to hand out my cv there at 3 o clock! typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I also don't think that Aldi or Lidl stock the kind of stuff that would appeal to the majority from the locality.

And what appeals to the majority then?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The access setup really prohibited passing trade. Unless that changes, I can't see anyone taking it on.

The sizeable bad element in nearby areas are also a real security headache, eating into any profits earned from respectable residents' shopping spend.

They largely want familiar branded items they recognize, not the stuff Lidl or Aldi offer.

They largely want familiar branded items they recognize, not the stuff Lidl or Aldi offer.

I agree that the layout is far from ideal and securoty been a nightmare. However, i live in the area and a Lidl/Aldi would go down very well here for the locals and those in nearby areas

Tinytony wrote: »
    Heroin[/qu

WOW. What an insightfull post. Very informative. You deserve a medal for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flamegirl

I have heard from reliable sources that the reason its closing is that the owner is in financial trouble. It would be a shame if it was to close as i know alot of residents from moyross use it but also residents from meelick. I do hope someone takes it over cause i have a relative working there in management and it would be a terrible for them and the other staff to lose their jobs. I also have a relative working in another supervalu store and they do have good offers on but its fair to say they cant compete with dunnes or tesco as they buy alot but not all of their stock from the uk instead of supporting the irish economy. If they continue to do this there is no hope for ireland every recovering. Also for the limerick leader to say that residents of kileely and thomondgate have a 40 minute walk to get a pint of milk is stupid cause we have local shops we can go to, but residents of moyross and ballynanty dont have local shops so lets hope supervalu stays open.

That rumour of financial trouble is just that, a rumour. Apparently the reason given for that is that he is involved in the helicopter business that owned the chopper that crashed in kildare recently. People assumed that he would be in trouble financially over that, forgetting that they have a thing called insurance:rolleyes:

He is not in trouble, the business is. He is just bailing out and cutting his losses because the writing is on the wall.

That article in the paper is complete and utter rumour and lies. The lidl and alsi talk came from people speculating based on nothing. The 10% increase in growth is an outright lie. Also as someone else pointed out, it is not the only shop in the area. Pa 'O Halloran has a small shop in Ballynanty, Johnsie has the Friendly Store in Kileely, Feehans next to Quilty's and opposite Topaz and Pa Roches. Walking 40 minutes for a pint of milk is accurate maybe if you are walking from Meelick past all of those shops into town :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

ULstudent wrote: »
    Heroin

WOW. What an insightfull post. Very informative. You deserve a medal for that.

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately you don't earn a medal for your very poor attempt at using the quote function. But stick at it champ and some day you will get your rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately you don't earn a medal for your very poor attempt at using the quote function. But stick at it champ and some day you will get your rewards.

this is why i left this forum for a few weeks, none of the above posts contribute in any way. Cop on, the both of ye!

in other news... do they own the petrol pumps too? they were usually reasonable enough, and handy for when i was leaving the city on a busy evening.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Super-Valu-Lidl-not-interested.5406071.jp

LIDL are not interested in the store.

Again more claims that residents will have to walk 40 minutes for a pint of milk. Such rubbish.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Super-Valu-Lidl-not-interested.5406071.jp

LIDL are not interested in the store.

Again more claims that residents will have to walk 40 minutes for a pint of milk. Such rubbish.

They did it before and they will have to do it again. Maybe if they re-open the small illegal stores working out of shipping containers, that they used to have, they might just about survive.

Pa O Halloran has a shop in Ballynanty. Johnsie has the Friendly Stores in Kileely. Feehan's and Topaz in Thomondgate. Oh and Pa Roches down the back.

Now who the hell has to walk 40 minutes from Moyross, Ballynanty, Kileely and Thomondgate for a pint of milk?

Maybe if you are in the arse end of Moyross and walk with a zimmerframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

Pa O Halloran has a shop in Ballynanty. Johnsie has the Friendly Stores in Kileely. Feehan's and Topaz in Thomondgate. Oh and Pa Roches down the back.

Now who the hell has to walk 40 minutes from Moyross, Ballynanty, Kileely and Thomondgate for a pint of milk?

Maybe if you are in the arse end of Moyross and walk with a zimmerframe.

Glenna to Johnsies is a 40 min walk easily..20 up and 20 back

What about Pa O' Hallorans?

• Advertisement

Remember there are smaller retail units to let in that complex.

Somebody could open a store if they like. Also Diamond Deli will surely have his eyes on that kind of business. I spoke to him before about it.

Somebody needs to capitalise on the earnings from the builders through the regeneration project, let alone the residents.

Advertisement