Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chopped and Screwed

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Got a David Banner CD today but it wasn't the official version. Instead it was the 'Chopped and Screwed' version. Anyone know about this stuff? It's when the tunes are slowed down to deepen the vocals and bring out the beats. Thought the CD wasn't right. Some kind of rap style that hasn't caught on over here - and probably won't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

its a style that originated in houston. started by the late dj screw and continued on by many including michael "5000" watts.

its big with the syrup (codeine) sippers. not a fan of it myself but some songs do sound alright when they are "screwed up"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The only song I think that it sounded alright for me was Slim Thug - Diamonds but in general it's muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Got another C&S album today - Who Is Mike Jones? - came with a bonus CD. Anyone else buying this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

yup chopped and screwed was what they called "original southside stuff", now everyone considers lil wayne and cash money millys to be "south side" its pathetic.... i was listning to mike jones back in like late 2001 or so when he was still the king of texas underground, bun B, UGK, pimp C, all big south siders.. and DJ screw was the pioneer of screwed and chopped stuff (not michael watts), another good southsider is paul wall (probably my fav after UGK), sometimes the the style's called "slowe'd and throwe'd" heres my favourite southside song http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m56_paul-wall-they-dont-know_music (youtube needs to die, deleted everything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's like anything there's good S&C and there's bad S&C. Mostly bad though.

I quite like the style but it can be a bit hit and miss when they're doing it to an entire album and some of the tracks aren't suited to it. I think alot of that style got incorporated into normal crunk/dirth south albums now so the need for screwed versions isn't as big.

I'll have to down a couple of bottles of Calpol one of these days and have a listen to the stuff properly. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement