Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get BTEA and a Grant for a PLC course?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering if PLC courses are eligible for the BTEA and also the maintenance grants (provided all other criteria are met of course) ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Sorry to bump this, just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the above - are PLC courses eligible for BTEA and a maintenance grant?

I did a search on here already however I'm still none the wiser :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

As far as I know yes you can get both. I'm not eligible for BTEA but qualify for VTOS but cannot get a grant as I already have a diploma from 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AT111

SuperTyper wrote: »
    As far as I know yes you can get both. I'm not eligible for BTEA but qualify for VTOS but cannot get a grant as I already have a diploma from 1993.

Sorry for going off-topic from the original post, but I was interested in your post Supertyper - I was turned down for VTOS last year on the grounds that I had a Diploma dating from the '80s. I was told a directive had been issued that people who had attended 3rd level previously didn't qualify for VTOS.
    If anyone has any thoughts or comments on this I'd appreciate them. Could it have been a college specific directive?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Yes you should be able to get both. You'd be better off getting the VTOS instead of the BTEA. They are similar schemes but with the VTOS you get paid during the summer holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

AT111 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off-topic from the original post, but I was interested in your post Supertyper - I was turned down for VTOS last year on the grounds that I had a Diploma dating from the '80s. I was told a directive had been issued that people who had attended 3rd level previously didn't qualify for VTOS.
    If anyone has any thoughts or comments on this I'd appreciate them. Could it have been a college specific directive?

Hi there, the VEC know I already have a diploma from 1993 but I have been unemployed (lone parent) since Jan 08 so maybe thats why I qualify for VTOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

Hi all,

I was just wondering if PLC courses are eligible for the BTEA and also the maintenance grants (provided all other criteria are met of course) ?

Thanks!

Just to answer your question, yes PLC courses are elegible for both BTEA and the maintenance grants. (Well they were 3 years ago when I got both while doing FETAC level 5 on a PLC) The citizens information (www.citizensinformation.ie) website as well as welfare.ie have information on BTEA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can still get both this year. But from the 2010/11 academic year they are planning to include the BTEA in the means-testing of the grant.

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10861&ecategory=10876&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=45913

Advertisement