Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLB & BCL law degrees: What's the difference

Options
  • 23-06-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

The title says it all
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    The title says it all

In NUI colleges, a BCL is an undergrad degree.
    In Trinity, an LLB is an undergrad degree.
    In NUI colleges there is a postgrad degree called an LLB, while in Oxford a BCL is a pstgrad degree. Trinity do not offer a BCL.

The value of an undergrad LLB is equal to that of a BCL. In essence, they're the same thing, offered by different colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

ALincoln wrote: »
    In NUI colleges, a BCL is an undergrad degree.
    In Trinity, an LLB is an undergrad degree.
    In NUI colleges there is a postgrad degree called an LLB, while in Oxford a BCL is a pstgrad degree. Trinity do not offer a BCL.

The value of an undergrad LLB is equal to that of a BCL. In essence, they're the same thing, offered by different colleges.

Isnt an LLB four years though, as opposed to a BCL being three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

I did the LLB over three years in Galway. There are core subjects and optional. The optional ones can be chosen based on your own interests or else geared towards the requirements of Blackhall or Kings Inns. There is a 4 year option if you want to stretch it out but I worked full time and got an honours degree as did most of the people in my class.
    As far as I can see it's the same as a law degree. If you've done any legal science or legal studies beforehand you can apply for exemptions.
    Sorry I can't help for other universities but if you've any questions about the Galway LLB drop me a PM.

Advertisement