Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from STTs to cash?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

What are the main things I should be looking out for? I intend on playing 0.25/0.50 nlh 6 max. Played them years ago and then took a good long break. Was playing stts up until recently but I think I'd like a change of scenery. Standard raise is $2 I take it? Or should it be greater?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

Go to deucescracked and use the 7 day free trial to download a couple of low stakes video series. That should get you up to speed on how the games are playing. Standard raises sizes are mostly pot and never more than 4x. Its common now for a lot of players to vary there raise size based on position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I don't think anything will prepare you for how different cash games are. You are going to need a whole new skill set. Mainly, the skill to unlearn habits you have from STT's which will be very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

For me because of the discipline required and the need to pay closer attention, especially when multi tabling. I found cash games boring at first and longed for the freedom and fun I had at stt's and mtt's.

Hope its not the case for you but, its worth sticking it out. The deepstack nature of the game will get you into lots of multi street action, and seriously improve your understanding of the game.

Gl and hope it goes well:)

Also read this its free advice ( hard to get )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

The most important difference is that in STTs you can play tight and let other people bust the fish. Every time there's a clash you're profiting from it due to pay structure.

In cash games it doesn't work like that. If you want the fish's money you have to take it yourself, so loosening up and looking to isolate and get in pots with the fish as much as possible will be extremely important.

The biggest thing I had to learn when I switched to cash was value betting well, chances are you'll be passing up loads of EV from missed value bets on the turn and river when you first start out playing cash. So concentrate on getting that right early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I made the switch at the start of the year. Deucescracked and the strategy posts here and on twoplustwo have helped me lot. STTs were fun for a while but I could never go back now because I find them boring and tilting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement