Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a generator run a submersible pump

Options
  • 23-06-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Folks,
    I'm currently building and haven't got the ESB connection yet.

I require water for plasterer to wet the walls. I have a 1000l IBC for the blockies which once a week was filled by a neighbour. That was grand but the plasterer reckons he'll require a load of water and I don't want to put our nighbour to the bother.

If I drop the submersible pump (that I'll require anyway) into the well (200 ft deep) can I use a portable generator with it or will I damage the pump?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

Hi Dafeens
    we are in same situation at the moment on our build.
    Contractor needed the water for plastering, well was bored (280ft) and submersible pump fitted, pump running on generator that our contractor set up, and all going well.
    Supplier said running on a generator would not do it any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MR TR

dafeens wrote: »
    Folks,
    I'm currently building and haven't got the ESB connection yet.

I require water for plasterer to wet the walls. I have a 1000l IBC for the blockies which once a week was filled by a neighbour. That was grand but the plasterer reckons he'll require a load of water and I don't want to put our nighbour to the bother.

If I drop the submersible pump (that I'll require anyway) into the well (200 ft deep) can I use a portable generator with it or will I damage the pump?

Cheers

I used a small Honda Generator and submersible pump from lidl to pump out my original Perculation test hole and it worked a treat!
    (The 6ft sq.Perculation hole was full and obviously wasn't used for the final planning application)

It's important to use a large diameter hose for best results.

The motor itself in these pumps usually drawer very little current.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dafeens

Thanks folks,

One person I had spoken to had mentioned that they wouldn't put the pump on the genie. But I'll be installing one next week.

Cheers

Advertisement