Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can O2 deliver on 7.2 HSDPA? Is the 3GS worth it when you look at networks..

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Like it says...
    As more people will probably be porting/ugrading to the new 3GS iPhone, and now there will be cheaper original 3G iPhones, will this result in more congestion and contention on the network, thereby hampering/negating any speed improvements in the 3GS's 3.5G chip?
    Will we actually see any noticable speed improvement on the network, and in particular, safari, google maps and rss readers (or any other data dependent app) despite the faster hardware on the new device?
    How much of the new 3GS is reliant on the network its running on as opposed to a better graphics chip and internal processor?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

We are already running at 7.2Mbps on our broadband modems at present so we are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers Daryll. Thanks for your reply.
    So, (and I appreciate this is probably a slightly amorphous question) do you expect the new HSPDA chip in the new iPhone to be a noticeable improvement over the speeds I'm currently getting (iPhone 3G, Dublin City and Suburbs), considering possible higher contentions between the rise in o2's bb modems as well as existing iPhone 3G's and the inevitable glut of new 3GS's?
    I'm aware of the burden on Vodafone's network as my N95 can theoretically deliver 7.2 but I've never seen anything near a fraction of that, and I have to say in side by side speedtests, 02 has been more or less consistently faster at the same location.
    Point is, all networks have phones now that are theoretically capable of delivering 7.2 (in an ideal world) but in real world tests, would users of the new 3GS see a noticeable (ie;50%+) improvement over the existing model?
    Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Ok my computer crashed when I was writing my last reply!!!! here we go again.

I have done a test on my iPhone right now and I got 1.8Mb/s down. I have also done one on the Sierra 888 I got over 4Mb/s. So if you were to look at these results you would say yes you would get a better speed with the new iPhone than you do with the current one. But this is all down to the area you are in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Nice one Daryll. Appreciate the response.

Advertisement