Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boarding kennels

Options
  • 23-06-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have a website for dog friendly accommodation in Ireland.It includes hotels, b+bs, guest houses and self catering. As dog owners do you think I should add boarding kennels to the site or not. I originally set up the site as an alternative to using kennels but now I am thinking that maybe people would still be happy to avail of these. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Should I add boarding kenells to website 14 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deiselady

kakee wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a website for dog friendly accommodation in Ireland.It includes hotels, b+bs, guest houses and self catering. As dog owners do you think I should add boarding kennels to the site or not. I originally set up the site as an alternative to using kennels but now I am thinking that maybe people would still be happy to avail of these. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys.
    what excatly do u mean,

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi Kakee, i think this would be a good idea.

A lot of people are worried about leaving their dogs in boarding kennels when they are on holidays, however should a person go to your site to see dog friendly accomodation in Ireland, they can see information on GOOD boarding kennels

They will see that boarding kennels, in general, have come on a lot recently. If there was a place, like your website, where they can find info on these kennels i think they might not be so worried about the prospect of leaving their pooches in kennels!

Just my 2 cents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi Kakee

I voted ues. think it's a great idea. Especially since there were a few op who posted concerns they had over not so good boarding kennels they had bad expeiences with.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

deiselady wrote: »
    what excatly do u mean,

Thanks for the replies guys. Just a quick response to deiselady.
    When I first decided to build the site I wanted to list places where owner and dog can stay together. Now I am thinking that not everyone needs to stay with their dog and would be happy to use kennels in the area they wish to go to. This would mean the owner can still enjoy their holiday and can visit their dogs everyday too. I hope this clears it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

That's a good idea.

I didn't think of people wanting to use kennels near to where they would be staying. that way maybe they even get to see their dog everday and take for walks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd love a website that listed reputable kennels and maybe customer reviews (something similar to Trip Advisor for kennels). I have tried so many kennels over the last few years, some have been good, some ok and some just terrible. It can be hard to get a feel for a kennel if you are only there for a quick visit before you leave your dog, i'd love to hear dog owners experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

ncmc wrote: »
    I'd love a website that listed reputable kennels and maybe customer reviews (something similar to Trip Advisor for kennels). I have tried so many kennels over the last few years, some have been good, some ok and some just terrible. It can be hard to get a feel for a kennel if you are only there for a quick visit before you leave your dog, i'd love to hear dog owners experiences.

I agree with you ncmc but what would happen is people would say kennel x is very bad when in fact they are a competitor from that area too. I think there should be some kind of regulatory body set up. It would benefit the good ones more and get rid of the bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

There's a voluntary body, The Irish Boarding Kennels & Cattery Association which was set up by a group of dog kennels and cattery owners who were concerned by the lack of standards and support in the Irish Boarding Kennel Industry. Here's the website: http://ibkca.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Good idea for both pet friendly acc and boarding kennels in areas. what is the name of your site?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sinead1

There's a voluntary body, The Irish Boarding Kennels & Cattery Association which was set up by a group of dog kennels and cattery owners who were concerned by the lack of standards and support in the Irish Boarding Kennel Industry. Here's the website: http://ibkca.com/index.html

I visited the site " ibkca" its not actualy saying if their kennels are good its just advertising its members, its seems to be a club for kennel owners? I am sure they would like better standards, have they any say if someone comes along with a really bad kennels? I wonder do the inspect a place before the let a kennels go up on the site? we need proper legislation so that kennels have to have good standards! Not run by the people who own them!! Really the department of Argriculture should be inspecting them, Just my two pence worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I have personal experience of 4 of the kennels/catteries listed and they are very professionally run and of a very high standard. I genuinely don't believe that the organisation was just set up to advertise businesses - that opininion is just based on knowing 2 of the kennel owners very well and also their views on badly run premises. Maybe send an email and ask about their vetting procedures?
    I also feel you can't exclude interested parties when setting up regulatory bodies - for example, imagine the Medical Council not allowing doctors to be part of the governing body.

Advertisement