Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop/camera insurance that covers theft/mugging?

• 23-06-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

whats the best way to go about getting just a laptop and camera insured for theft inside & outside the home? i'm not hugely interested in home contents insurance because i don't really have anything valuable other than laptop and cameras, but this seems to be the only solution to get a laptop insured? most companies only have policies for 10k+ worth of stuff, and mine would be less than 3k or 4k, so it seems overkill to take out contents insurance (i'm also pretty sure the house i'm renting is unlikely to be broken into - its mid terrace and our neighbours are very active and vigilant. while i've known cars parked in the area have been broken into, no houses have).

so does anyone know of any solution for insuring a single item against theft? i need to buy a new macbook pro in the next couple of weeks and i'm about to start working in a dodgy enough area and will be carrying laptops and cameras to and fro. i want to make sure i have something that will cover me against mugging. i know dixons and some computer places do laptop cover, but i haven;t seen any mention of cover for macs. the one i want to buy is around 2,000.
    any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it would be no harm to get home contents cover. My contents are insured for €35k and my insurance is only like €10 a month or something negligible like that. The type of insurance you'd want is an 'unspecified all risks' policy, which would cover you inside and outside the home. You could check around and see are there any policies designed for people in rented accommodation, who wouldn't have as much belongings to replace.

Alternatively, you could see does the shop where you buy your laptop offer insurance on it. A lot of those computer places are only too happy to try and flog you some cover. Just make sure the cover meets your needs, and read the fine print.

Advertisement