Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-toll Double Charge

Options
  • 23-06-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Last month I was travelling on the M4 out of Dublin. I went through the toll and my tag registered the transaction.

At the next exit I pulled off the motorway for 5 minutes but then when I tried to rejoin I took the wrong exit (I'm not even sure if there was an exit back on Westbound). Anyway I ended up travelling back the way I had come. I left at the next exit to do a u-turn but then had to go through the toll twice to correct my mistake. I got charged both times for this.

I complained to eFlow but they will only refund one of the two additional transactions and gave no reason why they won't do both.

I'm on the M50 every day and pay quite a lot for tolls and to be charged extra for a genuine mistake is very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

To be fair if you didn't have a tag and were paying cash at the barrier you probably would have had to pay 3 times. Quite good of them to refund you one of the tolls because you're supposed to get charged everytime* you use it.

*The exception I think being if you pass through both the Enfield ramp toll booth and the mainline toll booth in the same direction within a 2 or 3 hour period (I'm not 100% sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

There must be some rules. If you pass through a toll twice in opposite directions inside 2 minutes as I did then it's obvious that you are doing a u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

stockdam wrote: »
    There must be some rules. If you pass through a toll twice in opposite directions inside 2 minutes as I did then it's obvious that you are doing a u-turn.

Nothing in the rules for this. I can find a lot of fault with the eFlow, but this is not one.

If you went into a shop bought an Ice cream, and dropped it when you got back to the car, would you expect the shop to give you a free replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Someone could easily pull this one for picking up a parcel from someone across the bridge without paying. :)

Someone could easily pull this one for picking up a parcel from someone across the bridge without paying. :)

You'd then only have two transactions.....not three.

• Advertisement

Nothing in the rules for this. I can find a lot of fault with the eFlow, but this is not one.

If you went into a shop bought an Ice cream, and dropped it when you got back to the car, would you expect the shop to give you a free replacement.

Well McDonalds would give you one........if it was my shop then you'd get a free one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most larger retailers would, actually. In the interests of customer care rather than them somehow taking it as their fault, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

stockdam wrote: »

I think you were lucky to get refunded anything. As for rules, I don't think they were planning on people getting 'lost' on a motorway!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm assuming it's Enfield junction you're talking about.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.40902,6.846499&spn=0.006498,0.016136&t=h&z=16

I dunno how you didn't see the way back wastbound with the toll booths there and all. Did it not say Dublin on the slip road down onto the M4E?
    If you can't read the signs, then maybe that says something about you.

How did you get to pass the toll booth twice inside 2 minutes? It's more than 4km from the toll booth to the junction and back, as there's a 2km advance sign to the toll going westbound on the M4.

You could always use the free old road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

To be fair its not their fault that you went through it three times...next time pay more attention to where you are going and what you are doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

This sadly, is typical of Ireland today, It's always someone else's fault no-one seems to take personal responsibility anymore, just like the person on the thread about IE using buses to transfer people from Heuston to Kildare,

people who've been complaining about not seeing signs for car parking fees at train stations,
    people who have seen the signs but then don't have change,
    people hopping on trains without paying and then blaming IE for getting fined
    people who seemingly were forced to buy houses at the top of the market and never realised the price of houses could actually go down!

Take some ownership people, we've raised a generation (or 3) of people who won't take responsibility for themselves, grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

I came across this on their website. This is the reason the OP was refunded 1 payment.
    Re-Entry

The M4 Motorway has one mainline Toll Plaza located between Junctions 8 and 9 on the M4.
    There are two further toll ramps located on the western ramps at Junction 9 at Enfield.

In accordance with the Toll Bye-Laws, where a vehicle has passed through a Toll Collection location
    and within a 3 hour period passes through a second Toll Location in the same direction of travel,
    the driver of such vehicle shall be exempt from paying the toll at the second Toll Collection Location.

In practical terms a driver travelling from Dublin who pays a toll at the mainline toll plaza, and exits at Enfield,
    can within 3 hours, continue his journey westbound by reentering the motorway through the Enfield toll ramps
    without further charge.

In order to avail of this re-entry facility Westbound, the driver must request a re-entry ticket from a cashier in a manned lane
    at the first toll plaza where the initial toll charge is paid. When you reach the unmanned Enfield toll ramp, please press
    the re-entry button on the automatic machine and your re-entry transit should be granted.
    Failing this, please press the assistance button, which will connect you to the 24hr Toll Supervisors control room.

Similarly a driver travelling from the west who exits at the Enfield toll ramps and who pays a toll, can within 3 hours,
    continue his journey Eastbound by re-entering the motorway through the Enfield interchange and will not pay
    a further charge at the mainline toll plaza.

In order to avail of this re-entry facility Eastbound, the driver must request a re-entry ticket from the automatic machine
    at the unmanned Enfield toll ramp where the initial toll charge is paid. This re entry ticket must then be presented to a cashier
    at the mainline toll plaza.

Please note that a re-entry ticket does not entitle free passage in the opposite direction to the direction of travel
    for which it was issued.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zednanrefnomar

I'm assuming it's Enfield junction you're talking about.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.40902,6.846499&spn=0.006498,0.016136&t=h&z=16

I dunno how you didn't see the way back wastbound with the toll booths there and all. Did it not say Dublin on the slip road down onto the M4E?
    If you can't read the signs, then maybe that says something about you.

How did you get to pass the toll booth twice inside 2 minutes? It's more than 4km from the toll booth to the junction and back, as there's a 2km advance sign to the toll going westbound on the M4.

You could always use the free old road....

I'm getting farmland north of Delfzijl in Holland with that link instead of Enfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.40925,-6.845727&spn=0.006498,0.016115&t=h&z=16

a minus was deleted as someone thought it was a hyphen....

ha ha the irony.... scarleh

Advertisement