Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time can you commence work at in the morning?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There's a build going on next door and I'm wondering what time they're allowed to work between. This morning at 7:30am, there was a sound similar, if not identical, to a jackhammer being used and it was extremely loud.

Surely the planning permission specified that the build can only proceed if its done with minimal disruption to the neighbours?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

If its ina residential area, say a house extension job, then usually the men would be there around 7:30. But I wouldnt allow any loud work to take place before 8 am. Say setting up cement mixer to get ready for brickies would be ok. But to use a hammer or demolition hammer would not be very considerate. Is your neighbour approachable?

No harm to ring your local council and get their opinion. At least then its a first point of contact if this should turn out to be a bigger issue down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

C Eng wrote: »
    If its ina residential area, say a house extension job, then usually the men would be there around 7:30. But I wouldnt allow any loud work to take place before 8 am. Say setting up cement mixer to get ready for brickies would be ok. But to use a hammer or demolition hammer would not be very considerate. Is your neighbour approachable?

No harm to ring your local council and get their opinion. At least then its a first point of contact if this should turn out to be a bigger issue down the line

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The build is actually some sort of small apartment block/nursing home. I live in an apartment block right next door along with several other hundred people so I'm sure I'm not the only one affected.

Whom should I contact in the county council office?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Having the same thing at the moment :mad:

Why is it they always do the consaw and jackhammer first thing in the morning, and then are relatively quiet for the rest of the day.

There are regulations about this, it's 8am afaik, but a call to your local Environmental Health Office (HSE) could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Different LAs will have different hours of work but there is usually a condition attached to the planning permission that deals with working hours.
    DCC info here: (private house)
    http://www.dublincity.ie/PLANNING/BUILDINGCONTROL/Pages/BuildingControl.aspx
    You would need to contact Building Control of your LA to clarify the times.

Currahee01 wrote: »
    Different LAs will have different hours of work but there is usually a condition attached to the planning permission that deals with working hours.
    DCC info here: (private house)
    http://www.dublincity.ie/PLANNING/BUILDINGCONTROL/Pages/BuildingControl.aspx
    You would need to contact Building Control of your LA to clarify the times.

Thanks very much, that's just what I'm looking for. Will ring them to clarify on the hours as the website says 7am.

This is way too early in my opinion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

Normal construction hours as per the CIF are:
    Mon - Fri 0800 - 1900
    Sat 0800 - 1300.
    Some Local Authorities have slight variations, and a Planning Permission might include a condition with different hours.

I suggest that you contact the following if you are in the Dublin area:
    John Healy
    Environmental Health Officer
    Air Quality & Noise Contriol Unit
    46/49 Upper O’Connelll St
    Dublin 1
    01 8906276

picorette wrote: »
    Normal construction hours as per the CIF are:
    Mon - Fri 0800 - 1900
    Sat 0800 - 1300.
    Some Local Authorities have slight variations, and a Planning Permission might include a condition with different hours.

I suggest that you contact the following if you are in the Dublin area:
    John Healy
    Environmental Health Officer
    Air Quality & Noise Contriol Unit
    46/49 Upper O’Connelll St
    Dublin 1
    01 8906276

Thanks very much. I rang him yesterday but it went straight to his voice mail so I left a message. Am waiting for him to get back to me now.

They were at it again this morning cutting wood or stone at 7.30 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

You could also check the conditions of the Planning Permission , which you will find on-line. If there is a condition about working hours and they are transgressing this, you can get the Enforcement section of the local authority involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

picorette wrote: »
    You could also check the conditions of the Planning Permission , which you will find on-line. If there is a condition about working hours and they are transgressing this, you can get the Enforcement section of the local authority involved.

About to suggest this myself. Construction hours are normally one of the conditions of planning, and would be on their Grant of Permission, which you could check on their websites planning search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

There's a build going on next door and I'm wondering what time they're allowed to work between. This morning at 7:30am, there was a sound similar, if not identical, to a jackhammer being used and it was extremely loud.

Surely the planning permission specified that the build can only proceed if its done with minimal disruption to the neighbours?

Thanks

Nomal contruction hours from the CIF and noise levels are two different things , to the best of my knowledge you can start making as much noise as you like after 7.00 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

It will be all detailed in the planning, if specific times apply to that particular site.

Normally it would be about 8:00am, i wouldn't get too worked up about it myself though. Nice to see some lads getting work in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I work on site -work starts between 7 and 8am depending on the contractor. Planning permission may have a stipulation stating hours of work if needed but sometimes that doesn't go in until the residents start complaining. It doesn't automatically come with every planing permission as far as I know. So you'll have to start making yourself heard, pardon the pun. If it's that disturbing, I don't think you'll have to fight too hard to get hours of work attached ot their permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

bertie1 wrote: »
    Nomal contruction hours from the CIF and noise levels are two different things , to the best of my knowledge you can start making as much noise as you like after 7.00 am
    Im almost certain that you are not allowed make as much noise as you like. I know for a fact that most Industrial premise are limited to 55 db(A) or less at the boundary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I was taking about building site noise like cutting with a saw or drilling. . They don't make noise because they want to , it happens because they have to. You cannot blow the horn in your car between 11.00pm and 7.00 am but after that it is acceptable. Normally garbage collection in housing estates starts at 7.00 am for that very reason, concrete deliveries are normally on site & ready to start at 7.00 am.
    The origional poster should realise that the earlier they start , the sooner the whole thing will finish and the dust around him will settle. In todays economy he should be glad somebody in the contruction area is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

bertie1 wrote: »
    I was taking about building site noise like cutting with a saw or drilling. . They don't make noise because they want to , it happens because they have to. You cannot blow the horn in your car between 11.00pm and 7.00 am but after that it is acceptable. Normally garbage collection in housing estates starts at 7.00 am for that very reason, concrete deliveries are normally on site & ready to start at 7.00 am.
    The origional poster should realise that the earlier they start , the sooner the whole thing will finish and the dust around him will settle. In todays economy he should be glad somebody in the contruction area is working.
    The industry i work in we dont make noise because we want to either, we cant operate without making noise therefore we restrict our working hours and operation procedures.

Despite "not in my back" type people always causing me havoc i think you attitude shows a high lack of consideration to others. You cannot allow companies or construction sites to operate with no regard to the people who live in the vicinity. In fairness in this case if the noise does exceed the allowed threshold, then the problem is probably affecting everybody who lives on the complex, and they have a right to a peaceful enjoyment of life too.

I do see the point your are making too and i know people will complain about the slightest thing but companies have to adhere to the conditions imposed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

8 am. in westmeath for sure. (as per the Environment sect. Local Authority.)

Advertisement