Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a subject outside your chosen degree

Options
  • 23-06-2009 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to go about this?

Basically I'm fiddling with the idea of doing a law module outside of my Biomed degree - it says on nuim.ie that it's available to anyone. As far as I remember though, I just went onto student web services last year and clicked "ok" to the modules that were there (all compulsory).

Oh, and does it count towards your degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

You just need to get permission from the relative head of the department as far as I know. It doesn't contribute to your degree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sweetcorn01

Do you have to sit the exam in a module like this? Seeing as it wont contribute to your degree....i suppose it wouldnt matter if you failed anyway, in that case..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Well you'd still have to pass the module to be awarded it, so unless it was all continuous assessment I'd assume you'd have to take the exam. But I'd imagine it wouldn't affect your degree if you failed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

It counts towards your degree, once you get permission from the HOD you are substituting one of your modules from your subject with your new module Here is the link to the relevant page on the website. Remember you cannot substitute a module that is a compulsory or required module/

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/outside-modules.shtml

Is it possible to do a module outside your chosen degree as an extra module? i.e. do 65 credits??
    So you keep doing your normal degree, just have an extra class on the side, that won't count towards degree, but you're noted as having done it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It sure is.

Although why you'd want to I have no idea, unless you can use them to get the credits needed to pass?

Ah just a thought really. Like if one particular module from another subject could be useful to you in a career, or you just find it particularly interesting or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

AWESOME.

/enrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

banquo wrote: »
    AWESOME.

/enrolls

+1!

Bets thing I've ever heard education-wise EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Duddy wrote: »
    Anyone know how to go about this?

Basically I'm fiddling with the idea of doing a law module outside of my Biomed degree - it says on nuim.ie that it's available to anyone. As far as I remember though, I just went onto student web services last year and clicked "ok" to the modules that were there (all compulsory).

Oh, and does it count towards your degree?

This generally only happens with pre-approved set modules. The degree standard is not set by the college, but by the external examiners who review course material. Any supplementary modules from other faculties/departments have to be approved by the externs, which takes some forward planning, and usually amounts to the option being made clear on your module choice form at the start of the year.

The only exceptions I have heard of are for modules delivered within the same faculty (politics/sociology/geography/anthropology) - and arrangements have been made in special circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Nope.... I had the option of doing a language or psychology as my extern subject.. AFAIK timetable clash is the only restricting factor on choice of extern subject. (I did sociology) It was great. Good look with Biomed O.P :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

is it me or are the modules available out side your degree not available in the module descriptors page????

as i was toying with this idea, but i only have codes to go with and not description of what the modules entail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Anyone got any updated info on this?

wouldnt mind doing one next year if it's possible.

The nui calender never got updated this academic year so i can't find any information there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chocolate_Bar

You can replace a module with a module from another department, how many you can replace depends on the course I think, like for double honours you can replace one from each subject. Some departments dont let you take their modules though, here's the list of ones you can do:

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/codebase/nuim_mocd_current.pdf

It's an awful hassle though cause no-one in the departments seem to know whats going on, they'll keep referring you to someone else but what you need is a letter from the department you want to drop the module from and one from the department you want to take up a module from saying that it's okay for you to do it, and they've to be signed by the respective heads of the departments. Then you've to bring the two letters into the registration office and you're done.
    And it doesn't have to be a module from your year, like if you're in 3rd year, ycan take up a first year module.

I switched a geog one to a maths and they had me going from rhetoric to logic house until one of the secretarys finally gave in and wrote the letter..

Advertisement