Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer/Video Game courses

Options
  • 23-06-2009 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    did my leaving cert in '06 and went to LIT in '07 doing Electronic Engineering, but dropped out after first year cuz it wasn't for me.

I had originally intended on doing Computer Game Development in Letterkenny IT, but then changed my mind. Now Im back in the mindset of doing it again next year (starting september 2010).

Maximum I can do though is a level 6/7 course as I, ahem, forgot to study for my Leaving Cert and only got 1 honour out of the 3 honours subjects I did.

From what I can see on the CAO site, the only colleges so far that do a level 6/7 course are IT Tralee, Letterkenny IT and Sligo IT. Just wondering if anyone in any of those IT's are doing these courses and would you recommend them?

I did basic programming in my Engineering course, but couldnt quite get the grasp of it so stopped going to the practicals, but ive decided that if I do finally decide to go for one of the courses that I'll get a head start and try to teach myself the basics so I wont be clueless when I get there.

Any info appreciated.

PS I know these courses arent just sitting around all day playing games, and there is a lot of work involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

For starters, You might not need to only do a level 6/7 course, if you're over 23, on the 1st of jan of the year you go, you could go as a mature student?

I've just finished the Comp Games Course in IT Carlow and I can tell you that if programming isn't your thing, spare yourself the heartache. I don't like dashing anyone's dreams but I got through the four years (barely) and didn't like programming. Made it ridiculously difficult for me to complete anything. Now some of the courses available do seem to be more along the design aspect, particularly the one in ballyfermot, which i'd recommend if you want to get into games but you don't think you'd like to be a programmer.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Find out about the course subjects if there too many programming classes look at another college as red said Ballyfermot is more design based.

Advertisement