Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Government appoints new Secretary General to the Department of Transport

Options
  • 22-06-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=103
    Government appoints new Secretary General to the Department of Transport, Dempsey marks retirement of Julie O’Neill
    18 - 06 - 2009

The Government has appointed Mr. Tom O’Mahony as Secretary General at the Department of Transport. Mr. O’Mahony succeeds Ms. Julie O’Neill who retires from the Civil Service today, following her 7-year posting as Secretary General.

Speaking today, Minister Dempsey said: “I thank Julie O’Neill for her commitment, drive and exceptional leadership here at the helm of the Department of Transport over the past 7 years and for her valuable work in many Departments over her distinguished 37 year career. On my own behalf and on behalf of the Government, I wish to publicly thank Julie O’Neill for her work in the Department and I wish to highly commend her excellent track record here in the Civil Service.”

ENDS

Editors:

Mr. O’Mahony is currently Assistant Secretary at the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government, where he has headed the Environmental Division. His responsibilities at that Department included climate change policy and sustainable development. He has also worked in the Departments of Health, Finance and Agriculture.

Mr. O’Mahony holds an MA in Economics and an MSc in Public Sector Analysis. He was educated at CBS Synge Street, Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin. He is married with three children and lives in Dunboyne, Co. Meath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What difference will this make to anything one wonders? A happy coincidence that he is from Dempsey's constituency but I'm sure that they are not even on nodding acquaintance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Julie O’Neill was seen as a "can't do" kind of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd be a "can't do kind of person" if I was getting 37 eightieths of 270k as my pension too. Plus no pension levy on the pension....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Victor wrote: »
    Julie O’Neill was seen as a "can't do" kind of person.

Sounds the ideal kind of person for Dempsey and the fcukwits that run CIE/IE. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'd be a "can't do kind of person" if I was getting 37 eightieths of 270k as my pension too. Plus no pension levy on the pension....

Indeed...Julie and the other Departmental Secretaries General are the unsung hero`s of the established Civil Service.

Julie O Neill`s tenure as SG at Transport has been marked by several major successes ...such as ....... the successful establishment of the Integrated Ticketing Working Party/Board/Committee......

the equally successful admission to the Oireachtas Transport Committee that the Department had no idea how many unlicenced Bus Operators were out there...but there was a Hot-Line for the public to report their suspicions...however,thankfully,that number came under Gay Byrne`s juristiction.

Then,when Julie`s Department was prodded into recognising the existance of the Patton Flyer as an unlicenced service she suddenly realized that being Secretary General was`nt all that big a deal when nobody paid any attention to her.

The Patton Flyer continues to whizz by sans Licence with EVERYBODY,including the Gardai (and presumably the PF`s Insurance Company) FULLY aware of the situation.

Shame on you Carawaystick......Julie and her fellow SG`s are truly worth far more than a paltry 37/80th`s...they are the bulwark of democracy,without whom our country would be totally governable !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

you forgot that she's the person who agreed to pay Mick O' Leary over a hundred euros a skull to fly people from Dublin to just beside Farranfore Train station, while paying the train company less to do the same thing. and allowing the state owned public transport make cuts to routes and service levels....

Was she 65 or is she some of the non-essential staff allowed take early retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are all on fixed-term, renewable once only, 7-year contracts (to stop empire building).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hows the dta doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Her replacement might actually use the train to get to work from Dunboyne then <cough, splutter>.

Julie was truly abysmal. This lad can't be any worse.

Why don't they gat people who know about transport to run the dept. of transport?

'cos the minister of transport was on the 1 o'clock news on RTÉ radio1 saying he's not allowed use public transport by the gardaí. This is the kind of leadership we get here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement