Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a return flight ticket or two one-ways?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this deserves a separate thread from my previous question but things have drifted a bit from discussion on taking the car to Southampton.

Anyway, I was about to book a return ticket from Dublin to Southampton with flybe when I thought it would be interesting to see how much two one-ways would cost. Interestingly, the combined price of a single flight to Southampton and then a separate flight back (er, if you get what I mean here) is cheaper than the return option.

There's not much in it but I just wondered if there's a catch if you do things this way; something like an as yet unforeseen extra charge doubled because I've effectively booked twice.

Has anyone tried two bookings and got their fingers burnt (mildly that is) or is it that maybe, for once, things are as they seem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Only thing I can think of is the price may rise between booking the first and second flight. low enough risk if you use tabs to browse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

could you also be hit on the double with the credit card charge? i generally buy returns so not sure if ryanair and others charge 10e per booking or per leg, not sure how other airlines operate but it could be a sting in the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dereko1969 wrote: »
    could you also be hit on the double with the credit card charge? i generally buy returns so not sure if ryanair and others charge 10e per booking or per leg, not sure how other airlines operate but it could be a sting in the tail.

Yes you would as you are making two separate bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

KC61 wrote: »
    Yes you would as you are making two separate bookings.

Ryanair charge the fee per leg. FlyBe do the same, I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

dereko1969 wrote: »
    penexpers wrote: »
    Ryanair charge the fee per leg. FlyBe do the same, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah it's €5 per passenger per leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

If the difference is minimal I'd go with the return flight to be safe/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Someone posted in the Bargin Alerts thread about doing this with Ryanair. They are a point to point airline so buying two one ways doesn't mater. I think it was cheaper again to book the return leg on their .co.uk site and pay Sterling.

There shouldn't be any issue booking two seperate one way flights. What's to say you didn't drive/bus/swim over and just want a return journey with them. Did you check to see if it's cheaper to fly back with a different airline? It's not like the old days where you had to stay over a Saturday to get cheap fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Only thing I can think of is the price may rise between booking the first and second flight. low enough risk if you use tabs to browse.

Ryanair doesn't like tabs (or didn't last time I tried that). If you continue through to book in one tab, when you continue from the second tab you end up with the details of the first flight again.

Advertisement