Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving test - location for manoeuvres

Options
  • 22-06-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Does ay one know the locations for the most used corners in the driving test - reversing around a corner ?

and maybe the turnabout

I know one is corner of green at larchfield (corner)

and the road Hebron Park (turnabout) but instructor told me there are 5-6 common ones, but no more revelations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

The green at Dean Cavanagh place I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They often do it on Glendine Road (near the golf club), reversing uphill around the corner into Glendine Court. Also in the housing estates on the fire station end of Gaol Road, can't remember what they're called.

Back when I had my test my hillstart was out by the Black Quarry petrol station :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Did mine in Dean Cavanagh. Another few I know of are Maple Drive, Riverview, entrance to Cedarwood, Meadow Way and Beechlawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I did my reversing around the corner at Garringreen and the turnabout in Rosewood across the way. My hillstart was on the hill at the end of Maudlin Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CJay

I did my one and only driving lesson the evening before my test with A1 driving, spent hours practicing a couple of routes one of which was the route I did on the day, boosted my confidence no end. Couldn't recomend the guy who runs it highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Did my reversing around the corner & 3 point turn at Larchfield...twice ;);)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

thanks for the replies

My instructor is good, well in and always laughing at me kind of way, but has never specified the possible routes
    and when I asked her should I not practice all the usual corners she said no, hust two types sharp, and more gradual and if you can do both thats it

I did the reversal around corner in Ardnore thats up hill at the scout den, apparently its the hardest and managing it ok

not know the routes is bugging me

and not knowing - is it possible to park at the centre so am driving out, not reversing out, really don't want to start that way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah it is. I did the same myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I got a few lessons off of A1 lately and very good definitely, very much puts you at ease etc

thing is he does the reversal around a corner much different than my other instructor

his way is easier but I wondered if it was right (yea I know he has much more experience than me, just the advise opposite things and test is close)

my instructor: adjust mirror and maintain the same (close) distance to the kerb all the way around , steering to the left etc when you get to the corner using the back window , mirrors etc

A1 chap : reversing until you see the corner split the left back window, then steer, then straighten up as you see the kerb again coming to a position so the kerb splits the back window ( in my case where the rear wiper starts

thing is with his you go (or it seems to me) very far off the kerb, almost to the centre of the road you are turning into , and then correcting .

I have the obsservation down etc but maybe both ways are ok , but test in 3 days so dunno

I'll ask in "Learning to Drive " but worndered about people who did it in Kilkenny

essential one follows the curve the same distance all time, one loses the kerb a good bit at the turn and them moves back a good bit to the left, if I am describing it sufficiently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I did it the A1 way, but I got that advice from a different instructor. Its definitely easier and during the test, you dont have to go about adjusting and readjusting mirrors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement