Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasses at oxegen?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I'm heading to Oxegen in a few weeks and I'm a bit worried about losing/breaking my glasses while I'm there. Before anyone suggests contacts, I have tried them, and I just find it unnatural to stick my finger in my eye, I'm squeamish!

I'm just wondering does anyone have any tips on keeping my glasses safe?
    I had the idea of taking them off while seeing bands, but would they not get damaged in my pocket if someone hits into me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

I know they seem "granny-ish" but you could get the string attachment that goes round your neck and onto each glasses arm - at least they won't get lost (though they might get bumped into!). Maybe a soft glasses cover (like a pouch) as well as the string, so it all hangs round your neck like a purse?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

All i can suggest is be pretty careful...i was deep in the pit for Muse last Aug and a crowdsurfer landed on my head, almost smashing my glasses. I wear contacts now to avoid it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Thanks for your replies.

@ Gipi: I still think I'd be too worried about them.

@ Master Of Nothing: I was in the pit for Muse too and my glasses were knocked off once, but I found them very quickly. I think the fact I am over 6foot helps. :D

I have talked to my girlfriend, who wears contacts and is staying with me that weekend, and she has said I should wear contacts, even if she has to hold me down to put them in!! So I think my problem is solved. :) I'll just have to get over my fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I've had no problems at 'rowdy' gigs :D but you could go for contacts / stand close to stage and take off glasses. Bring glasses case and perhaps a spare pair (would bring a pair you don't really care about).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What I done for Slane the weekend before last, I brought a glasses case in my bag and basically when a band came on I'd throw them in my bag and when there was a break I'd put them back on, saying that if you don't plan on moshing (unlike me) I'd say you'd be fine wearing them about. If you do plan on moshing throw a jumper around the glasses case for a tad extra protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

emmm, have been the last two years in a row with a boyfriend who, if i remember correctly, wore his when necessary, and kept them in his pocket when not... i was the only one unfortunate enough to getting hit in the eye with a bottle back in 07, but had i been wearing glasses, perhaps it wouldnt have bruised as badly?!?! anyway, he got on grand, so will you...its not as awfully rough as youd imagine and you probably wont lose them if you keep them on your person/in your tent... ná bí buartha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

#i was the only one unfortunate enough to getting hit in the eye with a bottle back in 07, but had i been wearing glasses, perhaps it wouldnt have bruised as badly?!?! #

Or you could have been wearing them and they smashed!? and shards of glass got on your face and/or your eye! !! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jimmay wrote: »
    Or you could have been wearing them and they smashed!? and shards of glass got on your face and/or your eye! !! :confused:

Something like that happened to my aunt, were something smashed her glasses, the glass went into her eyes and now she's been on pain killers since, and has had two pretty major ops on her eyes.

After much more thought I went back to wanting to wear my glasses, and I luckily stumbled upon these in the Great Outdoors off Grafton...

http://www.croakies.com/eyewear/images/lg/croakie_turq.jpg

Got them in black and they are comfortable enough to wear all the time at oxegen and I wont have to worry about losing my glasses!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I wore my glasses in the pit at ACDC I got on fine, though I wasn't going mad moshing around so I'm not too worried about them at Oxegen. I will bring a case and my old glasses though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

notGill wrote: »
    After much more thought I went back to wanting to wear my glasses, and I luckily stumbled upon these in the Great Outdoors off Grafton...

http://www.croakies.com/eyewear/images/lg/croakie_turq.jpg

Got them in black and they are comfortable enough to wear all the time at oxegen and I wont have to worry about losing my glasses!! :D:D

They look handy, how much were they. I'd still use an older pair of glasses just to be on the safe side.

They were €9.50.

I would bring an old pair if I had any that weren't broken! :D Even still I am only on my second pair in like 7 years....so I am careful enough! :cool:

Advertisement